Displacer Thickness

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Ian S C

Re: Displacer Thickness

Post by Ian S C »

On most engines it does not make much differenceeither way,it can help if the piston is a little loose, but the real advantage (I have not prooved it)is that it works like the cup seal in a bike pump, as the ppressure drops inside the cylinder, air from outside comes in, and equalises, or increases the internal pressure. If you can make and fit a seal,by all means do it, if not, don't worry, it also adds weight, and that is a thing worth getting rid of. It should be noted that the aluminium con rod should really be much lighter, although its not as heavy as the one on the Ringbom vertion of stove top fans which is a similar size, but made of steel. Ian S C
bokerjony

Post by bokerjony »

The only thing I'm scared about is that the welding person in my school lab may not be able to weld it afterward. and thanks.
drupal developer
himavad

Post by himavad »

Hi Ian,

I machined an aluminium plug for the cold end of the displacer like you said, and I procured a hollow bronze shaft that I need to glue to the plug and the displacer now. I'm planning to use Loctite, except that when I call the Loctite supplier he asks me for a number. The Loctite website has a product advisor thing that suggested I get Loctite Epoxy Weld, but that didn't come with a number. Could you tell me what you use to glue these parts together?

Thanks.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

himavad, the adhesive that I use is Loxeal 8324, high temperature / high strength shaft lock, some thing like Loctite 620 retaining compound, or similar would do the job. Ian S C
bokerjony

Post by bokerjony »

The retailer informed me SUS so I predicted it might be a ordinarily used words. Yes I'm going to tool it down to 0.5mm viscosity, or even less if possible.
wafer dicing