LTD-GTID

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Chriske

LTD-GTID

Post by Chriske »

Hi,

This is what we're up to with our class this school-year.
In the original concept the top-cover is made out of aluminium. Mounted on that cover are the workcilinder and the bearing bush for the displacer-rod.
To make things easier during building I changed that original concept. We make that top-cover + these two parts in one single part made out of resin(casting).
Inside these two resin cylinders are glued two bronze cylinders, one for the workpiston and the other one for the displacer-rod.
The topcover is shaped as a container to contain ice to enlarge the temp.dif.

Works great..!

Mijn thuis is waar mijn draaibank staat...
Chriske

Re: LTD-GTID

Post by Chriske »

After a few months of hard work and lots of adaptations the first LTD is a fact.
My pupils have worked very hard, most parts are done, so we need to start assembling these (40) engines.
The first one is running. Lots of smaller growing pains have been encountered and solved.
This one runs at about 120 rpm using a small candel, using a hot cup of( whatever) speed drops to about 60 rpm.

Look closely at the movie, looking at the bottom you'll notice the flexing bottom. Due to the heating the aluminium bottemplate (is very thin, at the center it's only O.8 mm thick) bumps up and down. We need to make the bottom a bit thicker. Like it is now I'm pretty sure we lose pressure and power.
http://gti-duffel.be/4B/StirlingLTD/P10 ... 2video.mpg
jimlarsen

Post by jimlarsen »

That looks great! The resin castings must be decent conductors. It would be fun to see 40 of these running at the same time.
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Hi,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpYtIoTWi3k

31 units have been built so far this schoolyear.
Pitty we were to late to show them all at the same time during open door. Only a few were ready. Still, we're very happy with the result.

Chris
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Christke, you could almost turn that into a wee earner, sold as is or a kit for 50 to 100 Euros each, well maybe, you'd have to find someone to do it. Great little motor. Ian S C
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Thanks Ian,

Lots of fun, that's what we had making these engines.
This is the very first year I made Stirling engines. Without the help of a few members of KMYCA klub here in Belgium this would not have been possible. They introduces me in the world of the hot air engine. Now I'm affraid I'm hooked for life...

Planning and drawing that's what I'm busy doing this very moment, preparing for next schoolyear (already).

Chris