New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
JoggerFogger

Re: New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Post by JoggerFogger »

I am currently obsessing about Stirling engines. This is my post to keep my membership alive.

I have a concept design in my head for a somewhat large backyard wood burning art/science project incorporating a Stirling engine.
I think I have some novel configuration ideas, in a format that I can't find anywhere (on the web anyway).

Hopefully with some help from this forum, it won't take 10 versions to make it functional.

-Kevin in Portland, OR
acantrel

Re: New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Post by acantrel »

Hello all,

My name is Al and I work for a manufacturing company in software support. I have been interested in Stirling engines for a good while, but have not done anything with them. I am interested in the fans specifically and want to catch up on what is available in the market to purchase. I esp. like the Ky-Ko style fan.
Alphax

Post by Alphax »

Hello. This is my first post on the forum. My interest is in designing and building model Stirling engines. I am relatively new to Stirling engines and have not yet built one, but have done quite a bit of research in the past.
matt brown

Post by matt brown »

Greetings guys - after a long break, I'm getting back into this alternate energy stuff. My 'handle' was pacificstirling on the old yahoo energy groups (HAES and...yikes, can't remember the other one). I spotted Tom Booth from the past, and will be slowly sweeping the site to see if any of the other guys have made it here...
elliot.mcallister

Post by elliot.mcallister »

Thank you for letting me join. Looking forward to learning and buiding!
E
elliot_mcallister

Post by elliot_mcallister »

posting now! Very interested in LTD engines.
simpleymake

Post by simpleymake »

A 3d printer enthusiast and love to make 3d printed based stirling engines.
gmbailyes

Post by gmbailyes »

Thanks for the addition,
Always liked pottering around in my garage workshop, whether restoring an old part for car, lawnmower or making something new.
So with that in mind, I've recently become more and more interested in making a working engine or some sort. And it seems that sterling engines are the best place to start.
I've downloaded the plan for the walking beam engine and intend using that as the basis for my start into this world.
I'll be sure to post about my progress or lack of as I start my build.
Thanks again
gmbailyes
humco

Post by humco »

Thank you for letting me join. I plan on building a sterling engine and using circulating hot water as a heat source from an outdoor wood boiler. Hopefully to run a small alternator/generator.
Floydism

Post by Floydism »

I'd best get my first post out of the way then. ahh, that feels better.
Medica

Post by Medica »

Hi gentlemans, mad on Stirling,

I am a new participant in the field. I am retired university professor (age 72) with some knowledge in Stirling engine thermodynamic process modelling with few published papers. I have never built any Stirling engine, but i like to make something, like for example a low temperature difference Stirling engine based on prof. Senft ideas and examples. During of my activities in the field I have met late professors Ivo Kolin and Graham Walker, then prof. Senft and mr. Finkelstein. My principal scientific and research interest was in volumetric thermal engines, mostly diesel engines (from automotive to slow speed marine engines) and compressors. I am open for any contact and please do not hesitate. As I was professor I surelly do not know all, and I would like to learn new interesting things.

With best regards,

Vladimir Medica, PhD
Rijeka, Croatia
SR78

Post by SR78 »

Hello
I built the walking beam engine a couple years ago and it is still running. I need to add a water pump so I'm looking for pump ideas.
creast

Hi from UK, Leics

Post by creast »

Hi,
Thanks for letting me join your forum.
I am a retired mechanical design engineer and engineering has also been my passion as a hobby.
I am a member of the HMEM group and have made internal combustion, steam and Stirling engines over the last 10 years.
My first Stirling was a Ky-Ko fan which I am very pleased with.
See https://youtu.be/V70hjOBuTKU
I am presently building a 1/8th scale Rider Ericsson hot air pumping engine.
Rich
dlaliberte

Newbie intro

Post by dlaliberte »

Hi Stirling engine enthusiasts.

I am a computer software engineer, which you may know is not your typical engineer of physical systems. So I have ideas and an analytical mindset, but not so much hands on experience with mechanical engineering.

I'm interested in a commercially available Stirling engine system applied to a heat exchanger, with the generation of electricity as a side effect to be used in residential context, very much like the combined heat and power systems.

I am also thinking of a novel rotary displaced design which I haven't seen in any of the posts here or anywhere. So it might be that it's a bad idea. More on that later as I work it out.
wespete66

Post by wespete66 »

Hi.. New member from NW Iowa, USA. Thanks for adding me.
I'm a 30+ year draftsman by trade. I'm nearing that point in life when I will have lots more ME time, so am planning forward for worthwhile hobbies.
I am a collector of antique (hit-miss, flywheel) engines and related implements, and enjoy displaying them at nearby events. Hot air engines are just fascinating, would love to own one!
Wes