Regenerator design in a gamma type engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
DavMecha

Regenerator design in a gamma type engine

Post by DavMecha »

From what I have found during my research is that some gamma type engines have their regenerator incorporated in the transfer port between the power and displacer cylinder. The transfer port can be filled with a wire matrix or can consists of micro channels to have a larger surface area.

However, I am a bit confused on how a regenerator placed in the transfer port will increase the efficiency of the gamma engine. Wouldnt a regenerator placed in the annular gap of the displacer cylinder be far more effective as it is between the hot and cold region of the cylinder? So, whats the point of incorporating a regenerator in the transfer port?

Maybe I didnt understand fully the principles of the gamma type engine, so if someone could enlighten me on this topic :)

Thanks.
Ferraccio

Re: Regenerator design in a gamma type engine

Post by Ferraccio »

Welcome Dav !!!
Gamma architectures may be are different, pistons may be are parallel, and regenerator coaxial to displacer.
Wikipedia scheme do not resolve all possibilities, are examples...
Many and many architectures are been explored and tested.
You have to be more documented on what was yet done, before to invent!
However wellcome again !!!
Ferraccio
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

In some of the old engines, and most modern small atmospheric ones the long displacer serves as a regenerator. In the Robinson engine the displacer was shorter and fatter than most, and it was filled with a matrix of wire to work as a moving regenerator. Some have made similar regenerators with steel wool replacing the displacer. Ian S C
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

Dav,
the function of the regenerator is the same in all types of Stirling engine,
heat storage, and return.
Each has chosen several systems, trying to reduce the dead spaces, which are the ducts where there is no useful thermodynamic action.
In small motors have regenerative function the walls of these ducts of passage, or those of the displacer.
With larger engines walls have proportionally low surfaces and therefore requires a specific apparatus.
All architectures are experienced.
Ferraccio