Alpha type engine Idea/need input

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
markombi

Re: Alpha type engine Idea/need input

Post by markombi »

derwood wrote:From what I have read about stirling engines over the last few months, I have come to the conclusion that the only reason for placing the power piston at the cold end, is just to keep as many moving parts as possible away from the heat source. This makes it easier to seal the power piston and piston material does not have to be as heat resistant.
Absolutley correct, that is the sole reason why the power piston is placed at the cold end. I have been reading the discussion so far and have been amazed at how little is known about stirling engines. When the pressure rises in the hot end, the pressure rises in the whole system, simple logic. What would stop it reaching the cold end? I don't know for sure if Derwoods engine would work, but there is nothing wrong with his thinking.
Mark
Ian S C

Re: Alpha type engine Idea/need input

Post by Ian S C »

Hi Mark, I have my doubts about that idea of an engine, but I suppose the way to prove it one way or another is to build one. Do it carefully, to the best it can be done, using the correct materials were possible, and then if its going to go, its got the best chance. Ian S C