Liquid Stirling System

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Ronin93

Liquid Stirling System

Post by Ronin93 »

I have an idea for a LTD Stirling system which uses liquid to move heat from the hot temp end to the low temp end. It has no moving parts other than a few one-way valves. It should work with nothing more than heat from the sun and the earth as a heat sink - although that would be a rather low potential system.

I believe this might be good for remote installations where the energy requirements are small and maintenance requirements must be minimized. Possibly for offshore wells with (relatively) hot gasses/liquids and much cooler seawater.

One benefit is that it can be completely buried and unnoticeable in places where vandalism or opportunistic thievery is an issue. Although if powered completely by the sun's heat the output would be very small.

I'm trying to think of some applications where this might be useful.
Fool

Re: Liquid Stirling System

Post by Fool »

How about making it a land based power station, anywhere power is needed and sun and cold are available?
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Ronin93 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm I have an idea for a LTD Stirling system which uses liquid to move heat from the hot temp end to the low temp end. It has no moving parts other than a few one-way valves. ...
The LTD Stirling engine has no moving parts? Or is that just the external(?) heat moving system?

Also, why do you want to "move heat from the hot temp end to the low temp end"

How does this system produce energy?
Ronin93

Post by Ronin93 »

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes, I would expect this to be stationary. Either land based or on a fixed, ocean-based facility.

This would produce electricity via a small generator which is turned by flowing liquid.

This system does not flow steadily but pulses between the hot and cold sides.

1. Air and water in the hot end are heated by the heat source. Air in the hot end expands and creates pressure to move heated water from the hot end towards the cold end. The water flow also turns the generator.
2. That heated water then causes air in the cold end to expand and push cold water to the hot end. This cold water cools the hot end faster than the heat source can heat it. The cold water flowing through the cold end of the system also cools the air in the cold end (which had been heated by water from the hot end). The heated water flows into a cooling chamber where it is cooled.
3. The air in the hot end, now being cooled, becomes more dense and with this reduced pressure draws more cold water from the cold side.
4. After time the air and cold water in the hot side are heated and the cycle repeats.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Not sure I really follow the principle involved, but sounds vaguely functional, maybe. Though it sounds like a lot of mass volume in motion for a small power output.

Could you perhaps build a small model in a tub of water and a heat lamp or something, demonstrate a proof of concept?

Maybe upload a sketch or diagram?

It sounds similar to something someone posted in here about a year or more back.

Has some videos on YouTube as well.

https://www.stirlingengineforum.com/vie ... 91&p=12473

https://www.stirlingengineforum.com/vie ... f=1&t=5413

Just some water, pipe, heat and some check valves.