60L drum medium temp Gamma build

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
VincentG

Re: 60L drum medium temp Gamma build

Post by VincentG »

You have to respect what Koichi did. He pushed the envelope of what was considered acceptable. It just needs to be pushed even further IMO.

I should really take a month off work(in my dreams lol) and get some of these projects done. And speaking of projects....

I still have plans for a true 55 gallon engine build. Only now I am plotting a much lower temperature design in an alpha configuration. Just for fun, here is a teaser pic of another engine I am slowly working on. It uses two 30 gallon drums as the power pistons and is loosely based on a rider alpha design. It stands roughly 8 feet tall and has a bore of 19" and a stroke of 14". It's operation will be based on that of a gravity bong. Google that if you don't know lol... 2 55 gallon drums will serve as the hot and cold cylinders. Pvc pipe will communicate air between cylinders. Heating and cooling of the gas will be aided by the open water and the full surface of the 30 gallon drums. It's constructed of recycled automotive and tractor parts. The wooden frame was just easy and fast, long term plans would use concrete. It can be scaled up almost endlessly and requires no real machining. 2 feet of water head will limit internal pressure to 2psi, so it will be low compression and slow moving.
early progress.jpg
early progress.jpg (303.84 KiB) Viewed 267 times
matt brown

Post by matt brown »

VincentG wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:01 am
I still have plans for a true 55 gallon engine build. Only now I am plotting a much lower temperature design in an alpha configuration...It's operation will be based on that of a gravity bong...
One of these on steroids ???

bong engine.jpg
bong engine.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 260 times

which goes waaaay back, per

Tailer 1990 bong engine.jpg
Tailer 1990 bong engine.jpg (180.53 KiB) Viewed 260 times

Note Peter Tailer credit (the thermal lag guy) back in 1990 (Scientific American). Beware that this basic scheme has some hidden issues as Bumpkin pointed out awhile back, somewhere.

Jeez, I had to dig deep for these...lol
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Good stuff Matt, I was not aware of this patent. I tried searching for similar designs, but I didn't even know what to call it.

I thought about building a small model, but two things stopped me.

1: I'll be limiting my tinkering time with small "toys" until the weather gets cold again. I'll focus on large scale engines until then.
2: This design does not lend itself well to small models. With about .5psi from 1ft of water head, a small model just isn't tall enough.
Waldschrat

Post by Waldschrat »

hi,
i built a sodacan version in the 1990ties.
without a drain. result: condensed water in the connecting tube. bubbling noise after few minutes, and stop running after ¼ of an hour. so, the drain is the most important detail in this design.
regards, michael
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Thanks for posting Waldschrat. I was a bit concerned about that but I'm hoping the large air flow will take care of any issues. I'd like to avoid a drain as I'd like to fill system with monophonic gas for very low temperature performance.

Don't suppose you have any pictures? How did it run? What temperature diffential?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

1" of XPS insulation below the heat plate. Still have to source thin closed cell foam insulation to line the inside of the drum with.
60l gamma lower insulation 1.jpg
60l gamma lower insulation 1.jpg (177.09 KiB) Viewed 226 times
60l gamma insulation 2.jpg
60l gamma insulation 2.jpg (143.53 KiB) Viewed 226 times
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The foam ring extends just above the heat exchanger and will seal against the bottom of the displacer when needed.
insulation ring.jpg
insulation ring.jpg (172.24 KiB) Viewed 220 times
matt brown

Post by matt brown »

What's the water temperature ? I don't remember if you mentioned this earlier in thread.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Nothing set in stone at this point. Probably around domestic hot water temperatures near 200 degrees.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Added silicone sealant between the bottom insulation and the concrete to prevent air from getting cooled down between the two.
insulation w silicone.jpg
insulation w silicone.jpg (216.01 KiB) Viewed 171 times

Also attached the displacer contact ring with silicone. I decided to leave the pockets going down around the hot water pipes open to get some extra heat exchanger area and hot reservoir volume. I did however add aluminum can as a radiant barrier to the concrete.
radiant shield around pipes.jpg
radiant shield around pipes.jpg (217.98 KiB) Viewed 171 times

Welded stainless studs to the pipe flanges.
flange studs.jpg
flange studs.jpg (322.12 KiB) Viewed 171 times

Ready for the heat exchanger.
read for heat exchanger.jpg
read for heat exchanger.jpg (242.76 KiB) Viewed 171 times

At this point I think initial testing will be done with no cold end so I can get some early data open and closed cycle before I invest any more time and money building another heat exchanger. Looking forward to testing adiabatic expansion with an insulated "cold end".

Any suggestions or testing requests?
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Do you have the power piston finished?

Are you still using a break diaphragm?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I have not done anything yet regarding the rotating assembly. I do still plan on using the brake diaphragm.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

After assembling the heat exchanger in the chamber, I had a leak due to the test hole I forgot to weld lol. Ended up just welding stainless tubes to the bottom of the heat exchanger to greatly simplify the sealing process. Much less prone to failure like this. Fun fact of the day, this heat exchanger is made from an old NYC phone booth.

water pipes.jpg
water pipes.jpg (265.86 KiB) Viewed 116 times

The top of the exchanger without mounting holes. Now it is just secured to the flanges with silicone. The water tubes will also be sealed to the pipe on the bottom of the chamber.
top of heat exhanger.jpg
top of heat exhanger.jpg (149.66 KiB) Viewed 116 times
water pipe connection.jpg
water pipe connection.jpg (154.95 KiB) Viewed 116 times

I think it's satisfying seeing one of the displacer discs laying on the bottom sealing ring and completely blocking off the heat exchanger.
displacer disc.jpg
displacer disc.jpg (163.15 KiB) Viewed 116 times