Gamma Piston construction

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Ryan

Gamma Piston construction

Post by Ryan »

Hi, First Post.

I wanted to build a Gamma Sterling Engine but wanted to keep the cost of parts to a minimum. Not because I'm tight, but the cost of living is getting out of hand. I've got most of the parts to start, but I've been looking around for a piston alternative to the one in the videos I saw on YouTube (Ludic Science). He used apoxy resin for his.

Has anyone made any of his engines with other mixtures for the piston besides resin. I did have some Milliput Superfine White but that too isn't cheap.

There must be other materials out there that cure to a rock hard state and can stand high tempretures.

Thanks a lot.

Ryan.
skyofcolorado

Re: Gamma Piston construction

Post by skyofcolorado »

Power piston or displacer? I assume power, but that doesn't normally get hot, so not quite understanding the design you have in mind.

What is your cylinder made from? If it's test tube glass, I've used cement mortar mix before (the 15 min setting stuff) since the glass is more than hard enough to have no wear if you lube with a little graphite powder (or even scrub it with a pencil lead.)

That's by far the cheapest material and I use it for many parts. Super strong, fast setting, can be mixed with fiberglass/carbon fibers, colorants, and takes a surprising amount of heat without breaking down.

A hardwood dowel also works great for glass or metal cylinders if you harden it with some superglue and sand smooth.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

I can't exactly recommend it yet, as I'm just begining to experiment with it, but I've been contemplating trying to make an engine almost 100% porcelain fiber/paper clay.

It seems to be potentially ideal in many ways. Reportedly it does get hard as rock requiring a power grinder to shape if necessary, after firing in a kiln. The majority of information about it, however, relates to Art and sculpture. The (unglazed) porosity could be a potential problem though.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi guys
I knew there were other potential mixes, but I wasn't sure what would survive the heat and thrust when constructing the piston. Never thought of cement as a solution. But now you mention it I've seen boats made of cement so why not pistons.

I'll look into that Tom and let you know how it works out for me. For some reason I couldn't post a picture here of the type of engine I was interested in building so I left a link to the video on Youtube instead. (Hope that's acceptable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qe8Y7fka-s&t=118s

I'll keep you informed of my proggress.

Best regards

Ryan