Help trouble shooting a gamma type Stirling engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Bumpkin

Re: Help trouble shooting a gamma type Stirling engine

Post by Bumpkin »

“Could you please explain the compression expansion ratio…”

Ok. Let’s call it the expansion/contraction ratio. Compare the total air volume of the engine with the power volume expanded; to the total air volume with the power volume contracted. Don’t count air-tight displacer volume. Do count dead space including exchangers, regenerators etc.

Look up “Boyle’s law,” and know that for most of our purposes air can be considered a “perfect gas.” So the expansion/contraction ratio tells you how much temperature difference is needed in the working air just to break even, but heat won’t flow in and out of the working gas without a temperature gradient. My own totally unproven rule of thumb; is that to expect a well-designed engine to run, it would need at least twice the exterior source/sink temperature ratio, as the engine’s internal expansion/contraction physical ratio. Look up “Absolute temperature,” and remember to measure with a zeroed scale.

Once you get past the temperature difference/volume difference ratio, then the variables start to get interesting, but to that point I think we’re mostly on common ground.
(I’m open to debate, but to possibly head off our esteemed purveyor of verbiage; yes of course power out of a heat engine is heat out of a heat engine, but the engine needs to run first.) :confused:
Bumpkin

Post by 12345 »

"Typically, upload the video to YouTube or possibly some other video hosting service..."
Thank you, here is a link to the video.
https://mega.nz/file/supjHJqQ#2rA1XXmU4 ... nyaD6x-3KI

I did a test to see if the Ross yoke timing was out. I do not think there is not much difference between the engine's Ross yoke and a phase angle of 90 deg, but I do not know. I have attached images of the test below. (D=displacer piston, P=power piston)

I looked into making the stroke longer. However, I do not think I can do so easily as the crank pin collides with the connecting rods.

As an alternative solution, I am wondering if it is possible to decrease the power piston bore? My thinking is that this would lower the temperature differential needed to run the engine because engines that run at lower temperature differentials have larger swept volume ratios.

"Don’t count air-tight displacer volume..."
Does this mean all of the displacer volumes should be excluded? (Example attached below.)
Attachments
Power volume contracted.png
Power volume contracted.png (64.48 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
270 deg.png
270 deg.png (184.81 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
180 deg.png
180 deg.png (221.8 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
90 deg.png
90 deg.png (203.8 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
0 deg.png
0 deg.png (187.02 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Does this mean all of the displacer volumes should be excluded? (Example attached below.)
Yes subtract the volume of the displacer.
I don’t think the Ross yoke has to be symmetrical. As in maybe to change the ratio you could just move the center pivot up or down a bit? Of course one change begets another, but it might be an option.
Bumpkin

Post by 12345 »

Did some testing on the Ross yoke and it doesn't seem to need to be symmetrical. However, moving the centre pivot or the connecting rod pivots up or down doesn't change the stroke length but moves it forward or backwards.

Also, I reduced the power piston bore to 10 mm and managed to get the engine to do a revolution with a light nudge to start it and a wet towel around the displacer cold end.

For prototyping reasons the piston was 3D printed with PLA. So I am thinking it could be a poor seal in the piston. Unless it could be something else?
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

“Did some testing on the Ross yoke and it doesn't seem to need to be symmetrical. However, moving the centre pivot or the connecting rod pivots up or down doesn't change the stroke length but moves it forward or backwards.”
Well’ that just knocked my blow-hard assumption all to heck. :red: Sorry for the wasted time, but for my part it’s good to know. Had to watch the animation for a while to see the why. https://grabcad.com/library/ross-yoke-m ... nimation-1.
Bumpkin

Post by 12345 »

Don't worry about it.

Also, what is the phase angle of a Ross yoke?

I recently watched a video (link below) saying it was approximately 120 deg and could not find any further information on the phase angle. I have read a number of times that it should ideally be 90 deg.

To see the effect of a 120 deg phase angle I tested another gamma engine and it did not run at about 120 deg phase angle but ran well at 90 deg. So I am wondering if it might be that?

7:45-8:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1fiABe4x08
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Well, I “think” the Ross yoke averages about 90 degrees, but it’s less at one end of the respective strokes and more at the other because of what in a conventional crank design is called “rod deflection angle.” There are a few good animations but these graphs helped me see it the most, and I’m still not sure. https://www.ohio.edu/mechanical/stirlin ... e_vol.html So if I’m seeing it right, it looks like you could change which end of the stroke has the greatest phase difference by changing placement of the crank either over or under the yoke. Danged if I could guess right now whether it would be better to have the greater phase difference at the top or at the bottom of the strokes. Mechanical packaging may override thermodynamics.
Bumpkin