Help understanding a maker's engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
skyofcolorado

Help understanding a maker's engine

Post by skyofcolorado »

Would someone be willing to help me understand this engine? Specifically, why does it accelerate when he opens the valve to the open-ended tube? Also, I see only one linkage which goes to the piston (displacer?) on the right, but he still has a pressure tube to what appears to be a power piston (the short can) behind the flywheel. I just can't see the linkage to that power piston from the camera's viewpoint, if there is one. Or maybe that's a thermosiphon coolant hose - he does that on some engines.

Even though I don't understand a word he says, I thoroughly enjoy his many creations. This guy has made a ridiculous amount of power from Stirling engines of Popsicle sticks and hot glue. Truly a respectable and prolific maker. I really wish he had English subtitles, but without them I can still usually figure out what's going on. Except this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ywv4YBRGWc

Also, I don't see how to embed a yt video - it just appears as a link.
skyofcolorado

Re: Help understanding a maker's engine

Post by skyofcolorado »

English translation of video description
English translation of video description
engine description.jpg (241.68 KiB) Viewed 6272 times
I assume that pistachio==piston, but what "hybrid" refers to I couldn't say. Also, I'm pretty sure that hose is for a cooling system and that short can behind the flywheel is a water pump sitting in a water bath.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Click bait?

Personally I cannot conceive of any means or mechanism by which that engine could operate as shown, other than a hidden air line to a tank of pressurized air.

I've gone as far as translating all the questions and comments and responses. No explanations are provided.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong. If that engine could run with such obvious high pressure and power on just a small candle flame as shown it would be quite noteworthy but, I suspect "hybrid" could refer to not just a Stirling running on candle power but also compressed air from a tank off camera somewhere.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Usually just using share > copy link and then paste here works:

https://youtu.be/5Ywv4YBRGWc

Not sure why your link has a v= inserted and the share url I got has youtu.be, for reasons unknown .

Anyway, that works for me, rather than copy/pasting the link in the web browser.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

After reviewing several additional videos, I think I owe the builder an apology.

There are several other engines that run with as much vigor and there seems no way these could be faked or have hidden air lines.

In many ways, several engines are quite similar, if not identical to TK Motors engines which also run with a surprising amount of power and speed.

As far as how this valve mechanism for speed control works, I don't have a clue.

If I were to guess, maybe something to do with relieving pressure in the "buffer space". If the engine has any such thing, but of course, that is just a wild guess, but at least conceivable.
tibsim

Post by tibsim »

This is a metronome heat engine...
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Comments for this video say: "Mr. Tibsim thanks for the idea!!!!!"

https://youtu.be/EaDMd4TJuuU

Is this your invention?

Can you elaborate? What is a "metronome heat engine" ?

What is the operating principle ?

What is the purpose of the long looped tube ?
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

I guess you are the inventor:
"Engine history:
Name of the Metronome Heat Engine is given by Blade Attila
Metronome Heat Engine (with thermoacoustic, liquid and solid piston and turbine) is invented by Tibism."
From back in 2014 ?

Soo.. is this like a fluidyne Stirling but without liquid ?

Technically air/gas is a "fluid", so, it just needs a longer tube to produce the effect ?

Anyway, lots of information available on the subject. I have a lot of catching up to do.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

This video gives an explanation for what role is played by the loop of tubing:

https://youtu.be/_Fz0jsOlL60

I had some difficulty imagining that an empty, open ended tube could serve any purpose at all.

An invisible air piston.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Interesting twist.

Two of this type engine, sharing the same "air piston" ?

https://youtu.be/g7r9FKgAw8g

I was confused, due to it appearing like the ends of the two tubes are just close, facing towards each other, that seemed odd.

Pausing the video and "zooming in" it became apparent that the ends of the two tubes are infact connected by a piece of clear tubing.

Not that being clear has any significance, it just makes it look like there is nothing there.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

The engine in the video of the first post, though, has some additional elements and variations on the basic "metranome" engine yet to be explained, I think.

Can a metranome engine be speed controlled just by putting a valve in the line ? What is the upright section in the pipe for ?

The displacer is counterbalanced, which no doubt reduces power loss.

There is also an actual power piston, rather than a diaphragm, and it isn't clear to me how the displacer is attached - in the same way ? Directly to the bottom of the power piston ?

Some additional bits here and there, I'm not sure what they are or what they might do.