Theoretical concept of new invented hot air engine.

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
airpower

Re: Theoretical concept of new invented hot air engine.

Post by airpower »

Been looking at a ball piston configuration (maybe with springs at end of rod) seems the best so far. Can't wait to get some real testing done, but...

As it is external combustion, alcohol can serve as green fuel or plant like Henry Fords "Hemp oil car"
https://internationalhighlife.com/henry-ford-hemp-car/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54vD_cPCQM8

"Green" red sports car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TugMbfnA3GI

Discontinued very expensive compressed air powered wrist watch
https://www.urwerk.com/collections/hist ... atch-about
ccspring3021

Post by ccspring3021 »

Hi,
I am more interesting on your idea because I have ever thought the same one, that one heater with two power pistons working in the cold cylinders.
But do you notice the reply by Tom Booth that at the below time
"by Tom Booth » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 am"
The video attached there shows the owner has a different stirling engine which is quite different from traditional ones that I think it is not stirling type in some way. Because the volume of the air is no change for the whole period.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

ccspring3021 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:46 pm Hi,
I am more interesting on your idea because I have ever thought the same one, that one heater with two power pistons working in the cold cylinders.
But do you notice the reply by Tom Booth that at the below time
"by Tom Booth » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 am"
The video attached there shows the owner has a different stirling engine which is quite different from traditional ones that I think it is not stirling type in some way. Because the volume of the air is no change for the whole period.

There is a drawing, briefly displayed in the video, I managed to get a screenshot.
Polish_20220206_002005289.jpg
Polish_20220206_002005289.jpg (204.85 KiB) Viewed 4312 times
From that, there are clearly two displacers. Where, however, is there any power piston?

This pop can version makes it a little clearer.

https://youtu.be/Ne_3kgNxj3g

It appears there is one power piston in the center, between the two displacer chambers, being pushed one way, then the other.

In the larger version, perhaps the piston is a diaphragm/membrane type? It doesn't look like there is room for much else there.

Anyway, the concept of two displacers operating one central piston between them appears to work.

Your machine, on the other hand, appears to be the opposite, or something all together different, with two power diaphragms.
airpower

Post by airpower »

It is something all together different, i have no flywheel or crankshaft and most important. it's not direct powered, also much slower about one push a second. Also original diaphragm design is not suitable for this, it needs to be a narrow piston. As much as i like the diaphragm but its not good for eveything, this is one such case. It's not the power stroke but a fast punch driving it.
The energy is harvested from the pendulum having 100% gravitational potential on top of the swing, zero kinetic. At the bottom it 100% kinetic energy and has no gravitational potential.
airpower

Post by airpower »

This hot air machine is some form of hybrid steam - sterling engine, it has elements from both.
The main difference to anything else is that the hot air is only used to work/operating/controlling the pendulum.
The bottom of the double pendulum is doing the work.
As the pendulum is free swinging not constraint in any way the only loses are:
• Air resistance
• Friction
• Less than 100% perfect timing
• Movement for work to be done and angle of secondary leg.

Air resistance, not much of a worry moving at 10 km/h or Mph
Friction not much to be done about it, keeping it oiled.
A good way for timing the "strike" to be found over time.
Length of power stoke can be reduced with gearing from the top of the second arm. A 1 cm power stroke is of little use but with a 5:1 ratio that is something to work with. So bottom of second leg only needs to move less than ½ inch, with a 1 meter long pendulum the resulting angle is also only small loss.
Diaphragm configuration was original used because it like them but a small piston of 0.25 inch (6.35 mm) or thereabouts is a better choice as I see it now.

A 10 kg bob with a 1 meter pendulum having a 1 cm long power stroke every second is the aim for at start but there is a lot of things on the to do list as all piled up with this covid junk.
The system has 98 Joule (watt) of energy swinging full 180° (90° angle) 8 tea candles @30 watt is 240x0.4= 96 anything less than 8 tea candles is a win.

I am not aiming for efficacy improvements in fractions of a percent but in significant magnitude.

BTW
The wind turbine design now finished.
https://bitcoinfiles.org/t/a66f9d5c6d63 ... 64a90340f2
airpower

Post by airpower »

Progressing, now it's down to working out the finer details. Some big design changes.

Simple valve
https://youtu.be/ro6LZBqyEMc?t=510
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

The rapid pace of design evolution is difficult for me to keep up with, especially since I'm not sure I ever complete understood the original.

I am following along though, as I'm able, and do look forward to the materialization of some physical apparatus or other.
airpower

Post by airpower »

Well, latest version I now have a pendulum, 3 valves, carburetor, some trigger and piping . If need be always can a a bold for the strike.
I dont need more than 25 psi (1.7 bar) pressure, how much lower I can go will have to find out once build. Once again speed is what counts most.
Quality valve , with no restricted flow is a must. The one in the last post is junk, butterfly vales only go down to 2” size so will have dig into the options available, maybe some safety release valve.

One other difference with my engine is the lack of speed control, no need if used to store energy.
Also operation is on pressure instead of volume change.

Wind turbine i also changed the layout to better use the vacuum side and done some aerodynamic improvements. Overall simpler, for a test will likely make a half sized plywood version 14.5 inch high and 2.4” wide blades.
You are much further with your workshop setup.
After this covid thing is done with I am relocating once again, was in the middle of it when covid stopped the world.
Anyway, theoretically all done with the turbine, learned a lot:
https://bitcoinfiles.org/t/c9d1a118caa8 ... 0e01f5d653
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

airpower wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:54 pm
Quality valve , with no restricted flow is a must....
Coincidentally, having just recently discovered that the Amish, with a workshop just around the corner from me do 3D printing design and fabrication, at very reasonable rates, I'm having my Tesla valve printed out.

That's the plan, anyway. I'll likely be arranging that with them in the morning.

So, now Google, and even the University of Southampton have appropriated my drawing, originally posted to this forum and on my Facebook page.

Without credits of any sort:
Resize_20220218_034204_4477.jpg
Resize_20220218_034204_4477.jpg (401.63 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
Screenshot from U of S WEEG Newsletter

That's MY original drawing!
Wow, I've been published! Sort of: (PDF file 455kb).

http://generic.wordpress.soton.ac.uk/wa ... 8-2019.pdf

It is not your ordinary flat Tesla fluid diode though. That image/drawing is just a cross section, rather it is tubular, the idea being that that architecture should result in the formation of a series of toroidal vortices, like smoke rings, giving powerful one way directionality to a fluid in any situation where there would otherwise be reciprocation.

I'm still tickled to find out that apparently the Amish are the most technologically advanced group of people in this area.

Anyway, so now I'm finally getting the chance to print the thing out and see how it actually performs.

The only way I could imagine actually making the thing - 3D printing.
airpower

Post by airpower »

^^^^ That is exactly the missing piece i was looking for today, but for me 1 is enough. I know about it, so once i see the post, instantly know thats the missing piece in the puzzle. Found valve i like (a bit big) but i rater scale up, never was a model engine anyway.
So latest stage, either one in each side or only one one one side to power the pendulum. Valve is for 1" pipe so about 2 cubic inch or so of air to heat up and then open the flood gate.

Now 3 valves, inlet, outlet and flow, switch, carb, pendulum some frame and thats it.

Back to my other projects one of which is the ecological tiny house.
airpower

Post by airpower »

The only thing remaining is to build it, hopefully sooner than later.
Been some massive changes along the way. Also will use a simple funnel once again, no tesla flow diode.

Part of a flow diode did fit perfect in the wind turbine. The other side needed some protecting also.
https://bitcoinfiles.org/t/d3c785dfd006 ... 086d036c4c