Better late than never.

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Yorky

Better late than never.

Post by Yorky »

Hi,

I joined this forum a couple of years ago. Part of my intended contribution was to chronicle building an engine in my retirement. Things did not workout as planned, my retirement was short lived and I retuned to employed activities in a land far far away. The combination of this new job and the fickle finger of fate which gave me a few good pokes in the eye, delayed my build and interfered with me recording some of the build somewhat.

I am proud to say I persevered, and ended up with this, albeit somewhat belatedly.

https://youtu.be/RJ4R7CUNRCs
Yorky

Re: Better late than never.

Post by Yorky »

Materials Of Choice were based on whatever was available, free or recyclable -spending money was a last resort.

Displacer Cylinder, Power Cylinder, Smoke Stack, Water Tower, Pressure Lines, Platform Support Columns are made from recycled copper pipe I had in the shed or were salvaged from a local demolition site.

Handrail is 4mm copper brake pipe I salvaged from the local MOT testing centre after my car failed its test, 230 soldered joints.

Fly wheel is made up of three layers of leftover laminate flooring with sheet lead glued to the outside of the rim.

Cranks, bearing housing and conrod ends were filed from 8mm Aluminium strip.

Bambo and some brake pipe was used for various linkages.

The cold water jackets were covered in used Costa Coffee Stirers, they look nice but are counter productice making the cold caps warm up too quickly.

The operating floor covered in second hand lollipop sticks.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Very impressive Yorky. Loved your pipework and ingenuity of the twin motors.
Trev
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Fantastic!

I wonder how many others are quietly working on some masterpiece.

I'm also building, by fits and starts, as I find time, but it is a project. It is reassuring to know this forum is still here and I hope, will still be around for future unveilings.
Alfista

Great job !

Post by Alfista »

Fantastic job, Yorky ! Some lovely engineering there ! A large beam engine is always a fascination to see in motion and your attention to detail makes this one marvellous to watch in action. Thank you very much for taking the time to post here !
thanh-cuibap

Post by thanh-cuibap »

Very impressive !! A great model.
Thanks for share !
copper

Post by copper »

Is this an alpha or a gamma engine ?
Yorky

Post by Yorky »

copper wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:43 am Is this an alpha or a gamma engine ?
YES well - I always get these mixed up and when I do look it up I promptly forget. :confused:

The engines have one displacer cylinder and one power piston and are connected by one pipe. They are basically a "tin can" type engine the only difference is that I did not have a suitable tin can so I made a can out of a piece of copper pipe, keeping the dimensions the same as a tin can engine.

If you can work out the answer to your question from my description then please do me favour and let me know. :wink: