Building a Prony Brake

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Triangle.Stirling

Building a Prony Brake

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

hello everybody,

To test engines, i want to make a so called prony brake. I searched the internet, but there is not that much info that is helpful.
I looked at this diy prony brake, and i think i understand the working of it now.

To test engine power, you have to attach a clamp or similar to the axis of the engine. That axis then presses on a scale, where you can read how much pressure is applied.
The clamp on the axis must then be slipping, slowing down the engine. You then have the momentum, and with the engine-speed you can calculate power output.

wikipedia learns me this: Image The constant 5252 is the rounded value of (33,000 ft·lbf/min)/(2π rad/rev).

If i convert that to the units we use in the Netherlands i come up with the following:
P(Hp) = T(N/m) * f(rpm) / 7121
and
P(Watt) = T(N/m) * f(rpm) / 9,682

Is the above correct? I hope there is somebody that can confirm the formula's above, we don't work with feets en pounds here in the Netherlands, we use meters and kilos.
Also, is there anybody that has built a prony brake? If you did, i'd love to see the photo's of it.

Thanks in advance!
vamoose

Re: Building a Prony Brake

Post by vamoose »

Hey T.S.

Check these out. There are some very helpful calculations and explanations in them by the authors..
[hr]
Design criteria for Stirling cycle engine - Step 6: Power calculations and performance

[hr]
Mousepower Dyno Testing

[hr]
vamoose
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

The brake that I made has a 6" arm, the brake runs on a spool 3/4" dia., and the brake material is a thin strip of PTFE. The arm is marked in inches, and has notches every 1/4" along the top, a weight hanger fits on here, it weighs .5oz, and extra weights *(washers) can be put on. I now have a set of digital scales similar to Vamoose's, but I'm yet to try them. Ian S C
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Thanks for the replies!
When the engine is ready, i'll be building a prony brake, or just making a little setup to test the power.
I also got a nice explanation from instructables.com
I post it below, maybe someone can use it.
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW