Group project - is there interest?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Geoff V

Re: Group project - is there interest?

Post by Geoff V »

Ron

There is no need whatsoever for an appology, I didn't wish to imply that you thought we are all a secretive bunch, the problem is simply that even after nearly 200 years there are no plans for an engine which is easy to build. Andy Ross, along with several others, have produced some very good engines, which, if you have access to CNC machines are quite easy to make.

If 3 to 400 watts is sufficient for your needs then have a look at Peter Lynn's engines.

http://peterlynnhimself.com/LSM_14.php

I would also like to make it clear that my last desire is to discourage builders from trying, but do not waste your time searching for the 'Silver Bullet' it doesn't exist.

So don't give up yet, steam has just as many problems.

GeoffV
RonT

Post by RonT »

Hi Geoff,

I know from first hand experience that I can say things in ways that are totally misunderstood unintentionally. Tonight my wife went off to an evening Bible study, one I used to attend, until one evening I said something wrong, or the wrong way, and was set upon (I thought) rather harshly. I didn't take it well (physically) as I was still recovering from a medical crisis a few months prior. During that crisis (after treatment in the ambulance), by the time they got me into the CT scanner my BP was still 237/198, and I've been on medication ever since to keep it under control.

Your last posting was very encouraging, I like what Peter Lynn posted to his website, and he's heading where I'd like to go. As I plan to be here post Dec 21st (we didn't have any Mayan calendars hanging on the walls), and hopefully much longer, I'm not in a rush to get something running.

Steam power was an alternative, but the downside to steam is that it must use water, which 8 to 9 months of the year here could freeze and do irrepairable damage if left in the boiler or engine. Stirling engines, even if heavier and maybe not as efficient, would be a better choice for a year round installation.

Thanks, I plan to stick around!

Ron
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

You might find this paper interesting:

http://www.cd3wd.com/cd3wd_40/VITA/STIR ... IRLING.HTM

The "plans" or illustrations and such are not very detailed but it discusses work that was done building Stirling engines for developing countries out of locally available material like old metal drums. Some plans may be available. One engine illustrated that appears to be made from some metal drums put together is quite large, but the text mentions 5 kw as the power output.

RonT

Post by RonT »

A few years back, maybe more than a few, I'd heard of VITA and their work. I wonder how far they got with the project. Their engines are a little large, but a few KW would go quite a ways in some of their applications, but being able to build them from locally available materials is a big plus. I'll take some time and read the article on the link you posted.
Ron T
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I think one of the ideas of the 5kw motor was for grinding rice, and the fuel was to be the rice husks, I think the project was abandoned. I think Bangladesh was the area that was where it was thought it could be built, and used. Ian S C