L.T.D. with hi torque

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
fullofhotair

Re: L.T.D. with hi torque

Post by fullofhotair »

Attempt to get pix of minto engine
Attachments
Minto
Minto
Minto.jpg (151.54 KiB) Viewed 4540 times
fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

minto engine pix
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

Fullofhotair,
If you wish to move water in your pond the cheapest solution are little solar pond pump kits that you can buy for about $15 Australian (ebay), keeping the impeller in the pump from clogging up is the biggest hurdle.
If you wish to go bigger you could buy a pump (best to use diaphragm pump if you have a high draw or large head to contend with) with a maximiser like NerdyEE eluded to. By using capacitors the maximiser accumulates enough charge to overcome the startup load of the motor and pump, and then just runs strait off the solar panel.
I think the minto wheel and similar devices are very interesting, although some of the concepts your discussing here are way over my head, but if they gel and are making sense to your way of thinking then why not have some fun with it.
I did see you mention perpetual motion a few posts ago, DOH!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

vamoose
fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

Vamoose, the perpetual motion device was just for laughs, like the Heron fountain. I could probably find an aquarium pump here on my island. Electricity isn’t all that expensive here, but what’s the fun in that? The minto wheel probably isn’t the answer either. The wind blows almost constantly off the ocean. What I am thinking about now is a VAWT with a hollow shaft going down to a homemade impeller pump to pump water up to a holding tank. Then gravity feed to drippers.
This whole setup isn’t so much of a waterfall but really but a small cooling tower. The daytime temps can be in the high 80’s f but the nights cool to the low to mid 70’s. The drippers will sprinkle water through loose fill and evaporative cooling will chill the water a little more. I can have a fan blade connected to the VAWT shaft to pull a little more air through the fill. This chiller will work at night then shut down. The cold water will be used to cool the apartment a little hopefully. I’ve been collecting big pieces of old Styrofoam to use as insulation. The locals must think I am mad because all trash has to be shipped off the island for a pretty good cost.
Did you take a look at that drawing of the minto engine and explanation? I am really interested in your opinion. It’s simply one spoke on the minto wheel but instead of turning, the gravity feeds turbines. It’s nothing I could ever hope to make, patent etc. It could give a more skilled and knowledgeable person an idea.