SS Hot End from Restaurant Supplies

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Jerry

SS Hot End from Restaurant Supplies

Post by Jerry »

I was wondering if anyone has used restaurant quality stainless steel dishes such as a bain marie for hot caps? They are shaped with a slightly arched crown, and have a flanged opening which would be easily sealed against a multitude of mating materials, and come in a large variety of shapes and sizes. Seems like a great source of off-the-shelf parts for a medium to large engine, assuming they are thick enough. Here's a page with several example pictures:
http://www.katom.com/370-BM200.html?utm ... Qgod4mQAug
If I seem argumentative, I apologize. I like to explore many sides of an issue.
I love to be shown I'm wrong, after all, Dad always said to learn from my mistakes!
Ian S C

Re: SS Hot End from Restaurant Supplies

Post by Ian S C »

Since i thought of building a TMG I'v been collecting stainless containers, freebies, and cheap secondhand, fron where ever I can find them. There used to be a place in Christchurch NZ ( about 40k from my home), that made suitable containers, but I don't know if they are still in business. Ian S C
Ante

Post by Ante »

what you think about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainless-S ... 255a5591f9

two upper and lower cup for displacer for 0.99$ diameter about 50mm (after little grinding :) )

Salute
Ante

Post by Ante »

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks Ante, I'm sure we can find even cheaper prices, and there's no reason not to buy good condition used (over the past few years, restaurants have closed across america by the thousands). I only posted the original link to show the item pictured, as well as similar ones, I have no idea about the vendor. Sorry if anyone had the wrong idea.
If I seem argumentative, I apologize. I like to explore many sides of an issue.
I love to be shown I'm wrong, after all, Dad always said to learn from my mistakes!
rustybarrel

Post by rustybarrel »

hi jerry
i think you can find them cheap in India. SS vessels/cpntainers are sold here by weight and they come in all sizes and shapes also.
maybe you can find some indian e-seller on the net who can ship to your country.
rustybarrel