New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
MiWBC

Re: "Hi" We are new here!

Post by MiWBC »

Latest member - interested in renewable energy and came across the Sterling engine at ECO Build - looking forward to looking around and finding out more
arydberg

Post by arydberg »

Hi,

I am new and looking forward to trying to understand more of how stirling engines work. I have a little machine shop experience. I also have a webpage at www.maverickexperiments.com that explains more of my interests.

Al
dickonthelangwang

Post by dickonthelangwang »

Just joined the Sterling Engine Forum but have been fascinated by them for a long time. I've assembled a kit LTD but have decided that the lathe has got to be used for something useful !! I'm located on the snowline above Edinburgh in Scotland.

Dick
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Welcome Dick, I'v spotted you on another site (mainly steam stuff there), good to see someone else with the urge to carve a hot air engine from something more solid than a beer can. Ian S C / isc
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

I forgot to write at this post, i am allmost new here at the site,i have only been building tin can stirlings.i am starting now on a bigger machine.
have got alot of help on this forum, and super thanks to ian s c.

I am from the Northern part of Norway,and i try to learn fast and build fast!!
washer

Post by washer »

hi all,
My name is Leo and I deviated here from the steam-engine scene. Newby to stirling engines. Got interested because of the Rhombic Drive motion. The instant I first saw it, I knew I just needed to make one.
To give that drive a bit of sense there will have to be an engine engineered around it. Now there comes in the tricky part, stirlings are not as straitforward as Steamengines are, so I will lean heavily on you guy's expertise in everything concerning stirling thermodynamics.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Hi Leo, I'v got the other thing with a rhombic, I don't have any problem with building Stirling Engines, I'v just got to work out the mechanics of the linkages to give the required stroke. Welcome aboard. Ian S C
jaimegrosba

Post by jaimegrosba »

He to all.

Thanks for the admision.
Regards

Jaime
GammaRays

Post by GammaRays »

Hi I'm here.
Best Regards

Cris
fcheslop

Post by fcheslop »

Hi and good evening.
My name is Frazer and I have a bit of a soft spot for building Stirling engines.
After building a few of other peoples designs its now time I seriously thought about designing my own so no doubt will be asking loads of daft questions.
I just wish to build coffee table engines and the odd model car and boat.
Many thanks for letting me join the board
best wishes
frazer
AussieJimG

Post by AussieJimG »

Hello, I am the latest addition to this forum. I first discovered Stirling Engines some years ago and quickly became fascinated by them.

I have built a number of "coffee cup" engines both for myself and as gifts for other people, and have build one or two higher temperature engines, one of which is my favorite as it always runs when I demonstrate it.

At present, I am trying to make internal combustion engines which also interest me.

But now that I am a member here, who knows where I might end up.

Now I just need to find out how to post photos.

Jim
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Gday Jim, Good to see you, you can transfer photos direct from your hard drive to a gallery, it can't be too hard, even I did it! after we'v seen you here, you can come over to MEM(Model Engine Maker) the top place for IC, we do hot air also. Ian S C
Frogfall

Post by Frogfall »

Hi folks!

Just posting to prove I'm not a 'bot'. Looking forward to reading posts and discussing hot air engines, and their ilk.
flash3780

Post by flash3780 »

Hi folks,
I'm new to the forum. I'm interested in learning as much as is possible about stirling engine technology. I'm currently working as a design engineer for aeroderivative gas turbine engines. I would, however, like to start a company selling alternative energy systems which provide combined heat and power, utilizing stirling engines. In the past, I've worked for a company who makes free-piston stirling engines and I think that it's an underutilized technology.

From my end, I'd like to target distributed power generation for off-grid applications (25% of the worlds population lives off the grid). The stirling engine bit seems like a good option for generating variable loads to deal with the electricity feast and famine that most alternative energy systems generate (e.g. wind, solar, etc.). Anyhow, I've got a bit of background in stirling engines, but there's tons to learn. I think there's a lot of combined experience in this forum, and I'd like to learn.

Of course, I do have a bit of experience in stirling engine design, so I'd be happy to offer advice to anyone who's trying to solve a secific problem.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the forum. :)

Oh, shameless self promotion.... here's my website: http://www.blueturtlelabs.org
Robert Hornby

Re: Registering, and Deactivated...PLEASE READ!

Post by Robert Hornby »

Hi, I am posting my introduction. I am a retired mechanical engineer and my main interests are steam engines (not locos, although I do very much like them too). I have built 3 Stirling engines, the first one worked but the second and third would not run at all and I need some help with these. I live at Failford in the Mid North Coast of New South Wales in Australia.
Robert