The ideal kit engine?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
fullofhotair

The ideal kit engine?

Post by fullofhotair »

What would be a good size for a kit engine? How much should it cost? Remember the poor devil making these has to make a little profit or they wont be available for long. What configuration alpha, beta? How many hours on an average would you want to put in to get it going? Just general questions maybe if someone with the skills and resources reads this they might feel its possibility .Anything you might think of that would guide and inform them . Are there any good prototypes that are good stable examples?
RonT

Re: The ideal kit engine?

Post by RonT »

I'm hoping that some of the experienced engine builders or\ kit suppliers will respond to your post as I'm also interested in available kits, and plans.
On another note, we're supposed to warm up to -31C by morning, after another day of -38C, bring on the warm weather :-)
Ron
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

fullofhotair, not sure where you are, would I be guesing right with Austrailia? If so J Car have a little Stirling Engine for about $NZ 300, so it'll be a bit less in Aus. There are a number of quite nice looking motors on google, nothing very big though. Ian S C
fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

Something like this, the Any Ross Kit, was what I had in mind. A powerful medium-sized alpha stirling engine. What did the kit sell for when it was for sell? What would that be in present dollars? How skilled did you have to be to put one of these kits together? What should a completed engine be worth if you could find one.
The old stirling engine forum page I posted stated Ian S. C., has built one of these engines. Maybe, he can add some info on the Andy Ross alpha stirling engine. I know I wouldn’t mind having one if I could afford it. A lot of little tasks you could test out on such an engine.
Ian S.C. – not Australia but an island in the Caribbean. The postal system is worthless. The only way we can get a package is to have a friend who is visiting the states or Europe bring it to us. There are private services but if the package has any weight or size the shipping is ridiculous.
http://youtu.be/5pdqDQwehlk
http://youtu.be/3y5X11MXsRc
Stirling engine forum: Plans for this one? V-cylinder type from GreenPowerScience
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

My Ross Yoke motor is a simplified version of Andy's one, it has no regenerator as such, but it has a long Heylandt crown on the hot piston, this will to a small degree work as a regenerator, I'd like to build one a little nearer to the true Ross motor.
True I don't live in Austrailia, but New zealand is about 1200 miles south east of Austrailia, nowhere near the Carabbean, and our postal system is on the whole , better than most, even though NZ is one of the most isolated countries in the world. If you look at the map, go right a bit from Austrailia, then south just a little, and you will see the two main islands, with a tiny one at the bottom, I live about half way up the bottom big island, suprisingly called the South Island. Geography lesson over. Ian S C ps: Idon't have any plans for the motor.
dasf444

Post by dasf444 »

Hello guys!!rose kit i think is the best engine to all over the world because i am not personally use this engine my friend have experience to use this engine they said this engine kit is ever reliable for me and hopefully you..
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Hi,

Just contact Mr Ross and he will send you plans of his B-20 engine. This B-20 is even more powerfull.
The one in your link has very close tolerances, that is the reason why he replaced it with his B-20 engine

B-20 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=402tNFGY23Q
dual B-20 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ix_rHxU54w

Chris
Mijn thuis is waar mijn draaibank staat...