Old laboratory motor

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Ian S C

Old laboratory motor

Post by Ian S C »

011 (640x480).jpg
011 (640x480).jpg (223.54 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
[img][album][/album][/img]This is A laboratory demonstration motor, it may be over 100 years old, and was at a North Island (NZ) Univesity, until bought by its current owner in Christchurch (NZ). Not much is known about its builder or where it was made. Ian S C
theropod2

Re: Old laboratory motor

Post by theropod2 »

Sweet!
I love old iron and an unknown Stirling to boot!

RS
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

From curent information, this motor could date back to about 1880. If anyone knows anything about motors, or other lab equipement by (Oscar) Paul Lochmann I would be interested. I know about his work with automated music, ie., sort of large music box using a metal disc etc etc. Ian S C
stirlingmotion

Post by stirlingmotion »

Ian,
I also sent you an email regarding this machine; Paul Lochmann made educational demonstration models of steam and stirling engines near Leipzig in Germany the 1880s just prior to making his fame and fortune in the disc music box business. He's credited as the co-inventor of the interchangeable disc music box and his Symphonion company is well known. He also made small stirling engine-powered "room fountains" which used small water-cooled beta engines that pumped small jets of water as part of ornate cast iron indoor fountains. These were later made and sold by other German companies including Heinrici. Your engine is a Lehmann patented design--Lochmann apparently made and sold this engine as a demo model of Lehmann's engine which had been patented about 15 years earlier. Lehmann got some of this inspiration from John Ericsson's early (1850s) engines, and Ericsson complained in print about Lehmann patenting his ideas. Your engine looks complete except for the governor which was powered by the bevel gears on the main shaft atop the cylinder block. Thanks for showing us this very interesting model.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Thanks for that information, I'll pass it on to the owner of the motor. Ian S C