Rider-Ericsson Hot-Air Rebuild

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
vamoose

Rider-Ericsson Hot-Air Rebuild

Post by vamoose »

Sniffed out this engine in the shed of a local farmer. He's a stationary engine enthusiast (and general collector of stuff) and he came across this beast a few years ago. It was used bye the Chinese in Australia during the gold rush.
He's in the slow process of restoring it. He's very mechanically minded, but not a stirling engine enthusiast or a computer type person, so I've offered my assistance where needed, and told him i'll try to find out what i can.
Has anyone rebuilt this type of engine?
Are there companies somewhere that reproduce components for it?
Does anyone have literature or technical information that they wish to share?
If anyone can help, please get involved!!!

Thanks,
vamoose

Last edited by vamoose on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
vamoose

Re: Rider-Ericsson Hot-Air Rebuild

Post by vamoose »

Does anyone know how i can link the photo's to this topic, from images i have uploaded to an album on this forum, so that they can be seen by non logged-in viewers??

Thanks,
vamoose
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Vamoose. I think there is a site on google, an American one on old tractors and vintage machinery, theres going to be some heavy lifting to do, but the work should be fairly straight foreward.
Acording to my book there are three sizes of pumping engines, a 6" engine with a 125ft draw, an 8" engine with a 300 ft draw, and a10" one with a 500 ft draw. If you are up on maths, you can work out the power of the motor by finding out the power required to raise a given amount of water, from a given depth,50 yrs ago I could do it, as I took Mechanics as a subject at school, I suppose I could, I,v still got my text books somewhere. Ian S C
stirlingmotion

Post by stirlingmotion »

Vamoose,
A friend of mine here in the US has had some parts made for Rider engines like yours, although I'm not sure which ones. His name is Buster Brown; I can send you a PM with his contact information if you need it. It looks like you have most of the important parts. There are several other large Rider engines similar to yours in Australia and the US.
Administrator
Owner
Owner

Post by Administrator »

vamoose wrote:Does anyone know how i can link the photo's to this topic, from images i have uploaded to an album on this forum, so that they can be seen by non logged-in viewers??

Thanks,
vamoose
Anyone can see these images on this forum without being logged in (Guest). The permissions on the forum are set that way already.

Boydhouse
addie

Post by addie »

Does anyone know how i can link the photo's to this topic, from images i have uploaded to an album on this forum, so that they can be seen by non logged-in viewers??

Thanks,
vamoose :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :arrow:
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

Hey Guys,

Boydhouse,
Sorry, i should have indicated that i solved the problem. At first i had the images linked from my profile images and this didn't allow visitors to view, but when i placed them in the Stirling engine gallery and linked them, it worked fine..
Also thanks for the Christmas Lights and Digital Snow (its the only snow i saw on my 95+ Fahrenheit Xmas)! Hope you and everyone out there had a good one, and went easy on the pudding.

stirlingmotion,
Thanks, if you could send the contact info i'll pass it on to the owner, Unfortunately the engine isn't mine but belongs to a farmer down the road from me. I think that he may be overloaded with projects as he has a massive collection of traction engines, antique stuff and doodads. It's basically a huge private museum. I'm pretty sure that most people on this forum would be giddy with excitement to see all his stuff, i know i was.

addie,
I think you have an acute case of the 'echoes'...
Your doctor may prescribe a cream, but that's just to help with the suppository...

vamoose