New Member stirling engine history

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
stirlingmotion

New Member stirling engine history

Post by stirlingmotion »

Hello everyone. I'm a long time stirling engine enthusiast and historian, but new to this forum which I've just discovered. I'm more of a collector/restorer of old machines rather than maker of modern stirling engines. I've been researching the history of the Rider Engine Co. and its successor the Rider-Ericsson Engine Co. for many years and maintain a database of serial numbers of known engines from these companies. These were arguably the largest and most successful stirling engine companies the world has ever known. I keep waiting for their success to be repeated with a modern machine.
RonT

Re: New Member stirling engine history

Post by RonT »

Hi, I've only been here a short time myself, but perhaps because its Christmas the forum is a little slow and those more qualified to welcome you here are otherwise occupied. So, welcome to the list from a junior member. From what I've observed it seems to be quite a friendly and well moderated group, I hope you find it to your liking. From your introduction, I think your research into historic Stirling engines will be of interest to more than just myself.
My own background is aircraft electronics (avionics) since 1980. Our family lives in Yellowknife, in the Northwest Territories of Canada. As I write this the sun is now up, its a generally clear day, and the actual temperature - not wind chill, is -32C.
My interest in Stirling engines is buying, building, or assembling a kit, a model that will produce some useful power for battery charging, etc. I'll be looking forward to your future posts to the list.
Ron T
theropod2

Post by theropod2 »

stirlingmotion wrote:Hello everyone. I'm a long time stirling engine enthusiast and historian, but new to this forum which I've just discovered. I'm more of a collector/restorer of old machines rather than maker of modern stirling engines. I've been researching the history of the Rider Engine Co. and its successor the Rider-Ericsson Engine Co. for many years and maintain a database of serial numbers of known engines from these companies. These were arguably the largest and most successful stirling engine companies the world has ever known. I keep waiting for their success to be repeated with a modern machine.
I have a thing for old engines of all sorts. I have an old Allis-Chalmers B model tractor, a '37. I also have an old Z model Briggs made sometime in the late 30's.

I really don't see why someone doesn't reproduce those RE (Rider-Ericsson) engines. Surely with CNC machining and CAD those engines could be made at a reasonable price. Hell, if I could get a well made 350 watt RE for under $500 I'd be a happy camper. Since the EPA banned the Listeroid diesels from India these might be a new revenue stream for them. I'd think building RE's would be easier than those long stroke diesels.

Since you are keeping a database of all the known surviving RE's may I ask how many there are?

Oh, welcome to the forum. There are some very gifted folks visiting here.

R
stirlingmotion

Post by stirlingmotion »

Still hard to justify cost of production for replicating a Rider or Ericsson type engine given their very low power output per unit of weight, especially when a 5 hp gasoline pumping engine can be had for around $100 in Asia.

Regarding surviving engines there are approximately 220 on the list of various types and sizes, but that certainly doesn't include all survivors. I would guess the number or surviving Rider and Ericsson engines at perhaps twice that number. They still turn up ocassionally in their original locations.