Newbie - suggestion for a collaborative project

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Uppie

Newbie - suggestion for a collaborative project

Post by Uppie »

Hello all,

A brief introduction and also a post to suggest an idea and receive feedback. I have been working off and on on a low temperature differential Stirling Engine ("LTDSE") and determined that there is an acute shortage of literature and knowledge on the subject. I have some suggestions on how that might be rectified and wish to seek comments from the Forum about the usefulness (or otherwise) of these ideas.

[1] SAGE-type software via a SourceForge project

This is particularly targeted at universities. Nominally the project would be based in a Linux operating system (because it is free and has the necessary toolchains and IDE for producing collaborative code), with contributions from universities and individuals. We would need both who have a strong understanding of scientific computing including numerical libraries and the ability to write code that doesn't suffer from numerical dispersion etc. This software is hugely expensive to purchase commercially.

There is a precedent with this type of software (see "R" project - Ross Ihaka and Robert Gentleman), and also for collaborative coding projects such as VLC media player, "fan-based" funding of movies, "free" anti-malware software.

[2] Libraries of Useful Information

Additionally, if people were agreeable we could begin work on libraries of compiled physical properties of materials that might be useful for designers and builders of Stirling Engines.

I'm just putting the idea out there. Interested in any responses people would like to make to me privately or publicly.

Kind regards,
Grant Upchurch (aka Uppie)
Mon 08/10/2012 @ 1030 NZDT
Ian S C

Re: Newbie - suggestion for a collaborative project

Post by Ian S C »

Have you read the thesis by Caleb C. Lloyd of Canterbury University on power generating LTD motors, it's on google, and well worth reading (its hard work on dial up), mabe this is what you are looking for, I don't know what if any reserch is going on at the moment. Ian S C