LTD Power by Bagel

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Jerry

Re: LTD Power by Bagel

Post by Jerry »

Bit of a set back this morning, good ol Murphy had to put his two cents in.

Last nite I used clear RTV to attach the displacer cylinder to the aluminum hot pan, put a bead around the outer edge right at the bottom, and it looked like a pretty good seal as I slid the cylinder into the pan, spreading down the pan and up the displace cylinder. I thought the longer area of coverage down the sides of the pan would give a better seal than an edge alone would, so I didn't build up with more RTV hoping for a nice clean look.

I let it cure overnite, then tested this morning. Put a cup of boiling water into the hot box that came right up to the hot pan. Let it warm up, and then started spinning the flywheel, nothing. Gave it some more warm up time, and touched the aluminum hot pan to test for heat, seemed good, but spinning the flywheel the proper direction did nothing, and pushing the opposite direction only slowed it down a bit compared to the correct direction. Replaced the water with a tea candle, nothing. Added ice to the top plate, nothing. Felt the hot pan and it was hot enough to burn my finger if I hadn't just swiped it, but still nothing when I turned the flywheel. A couple seconds pass, and the ice begins to melt down the sides, and now turning the flywheel results in hissing and sputtering, and I see a small drop of water seep into the hot pan.

So, I pulled out the ladie's fingernail polish remover. Poured it around the bead of the hot pan and let it soak a while. Pulled on the bead of the hot pan, and added more polish remover, and soaked some more. Repeated till all but about a 2 inch area came free, but that area wouldn't budge. So I had to remove it with the pliers, deforming the hot pan. Luckily, the Easy Bake ovens come with two pans.

Cleaned up the RTV from the displacer cylinder with oil and green pad, then soap and water. Letting it dry out completely, then will repeat the sealing process with the second pan, but this time I'll use a larger first bead around the cylinder's base, as well as add a second bead around the pan's bead, ensuring plenty is forced down around the entire circumference. I'll be less concerned with looks, and more with a functional seal this time. Second test run tomorrow after a full nite's cure on the new thicker RTV seal. Here's a pic of the new bead around the pan's bead, will probably add another bead since I'm paranoid now.
If I seem argumentative, I apologize. I like to explore many sides of an issue.
I love to be shown I'm wrong, after all, Dad always said to learn from my mistakes!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

She's running! As is to be expected, there are some issues. Main one being it appears the floral foam suffers from thermal expansion. Very soon after warm up, the displacer binds against the side on the down stroke, and it appears as if the lower side expands a bit. It's not making any direct contact with the hot plate, but it definitely is touching the displacer cylinder wall on the displacers's lower edge. I'm attempting to run it in right now, but I am probably going to have to cut off the top plate and use balsa or some other material for the displacer. The good news is, she is working off a dish of hot water, so she should work off the heat of a fresh hot bagel!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj6Tupxo2jQ[/youtube]
If I seem argumentative, I apologize. I like to explore many sides of an issue.
I love to be shown I'm wrong, after all, Dad always said to learn from my mistakes!
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

HOORAY,CONGRATULATIONS, thats very good news, your bound to have a few little bits to annoy you. There seems to be a number of different foams, but the Balsa sounds OK. Ian S C