Shop Teacher New Member Advice

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
ShopTeacher

Shop Teacher New Member Advice

Post by ShopTeacher »

Greetings to all the "tinkers" out there! I am a middle school shop teacher in Salem Oregon. I've taught shop now for almost 17 years and have recently begun to teach a basic mechanical engineering unit that has my students making "Automata". I also have my advanced kids work with me to restore vintage shop/power tools that we then use in the shop or give to the kids as prizes for outstanding work.
I recently stumbled across the stirling engines while doing some research on "Hit and Miss" engines and went "WOW" these are perfect for my kids as an extension to the automata.
I spoke with Jim Larson today on the phone, and he is a great guy. We spoke of how to manage building these with 35 to 40 kids at a time, (my class sizes in shop).

So, I am looking for any advise, suggestions, plans, etc..... that will help me in the quest for great projects. Jim's books look great and I'm still waiting for the Amazon Book mobile, FEDEX, to deliver it.

As Red Green sez.... Always count your fingers before and after every cut to make sure you don't have to go sifting through the saw dust.

Be Safe, Dream Big, and Be Patient with yourself

Bryan Bridges
Ian S C

Re: Shop Teacher New Member Advice

Post by Ian S C »

Hi Brian, don't know what level you are working at, theres some photos in my gallery, that will give some idea where I'm at.
It would be worth looking up Chriske in the members list, hes a teacher/ metal work instructor in Belgum, its brilliant the things he gets his pupils building.
We'll/ I'll do best to answer any questions you may have, keep us posted, and keep your camera handy. Ian S C
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I'm relatively new to building Stirling models, but I think I can offer one piece of good advice. Start your students off with a gamma egine with a diaphragm based design, and once they have it working, then move on to a piston based design. The power piston is the stumbling block for most new to Stirlings, and I think is advanced enough to use as a second level project. You might try emailing Airpot corporation and requesting a sample airpot actuator as an example for the students to follow when they do attempt to build their own power pistons.
If I seem argumentative, I apologize. I like to explore many sides of an issue.
I love to be shown I'm wrong, after all, Dad always said to learn from my mistakes!
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

Bryan, Here are a couple of posts i put in 'Stirling Engine Links' area.The links may be worth a look for your students, to help get them familiarised with Stirling engine concepts.
vamoose wrote:Animated Engines

Really helpful website for understanding stirling and other type engines.
You can slow stop, reverse and manually rotate engines by using slider bar.
I came across it a couple of years ago and spent much time looking at it and playing with the animations.
It helped me get my head around stirling cycles........ i think?? :mrgreen:

http://www.animatedengines.com/

note- to manually rotate engines first press pause and then use slider...
scroll to bottom of page for stirling type engines
vamoose wrote:Philips stirling engine technology videos...

Really good explanation about stirling engine processes strait from the Guru's, Philips...
Starts slow, but is really worth the 15 minutes of your time in my opinion.
(there's even a 30hp stirling powered boat)

The Stirling Cycle part 1 (Stirling Cryogenics)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqIapDKtvzc

Stirling Cycle Part 2 (Stirling Cryogenics)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfMruoR ... ure=relmfu

vamoose
bellert

Post by bellert »

Hello, I'm a new member and I've recently built my first model of an LTD Stirling engine... and it works.
Thanks for allowing me to be a member. I have found the discussions to be amazing.
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

Bryan,

I should also mention that if you are to demonstrate a working Stirling engine in class, then I suggest,as a responsible educator for 'health and safety' reasons you should first label the device with this notice...

WARNING- The demonstration and making of Stirling engines may result in a potentially incurable addiction.

vamoose
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

The adiction is usually non fatal, but you may get a few burnt fingers.
It could be worth while obtaining a hot air model or a kit set one as a demonstration, you may be able to beg borrow, or otherwise obtain one, even if only for a short time, if the kids see whats possible, who knows. Ian S C
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

You can get LTD engines like this one on ebay..(i'm not recommending this one, its just an example)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Low-Temperat ... 2882wt_924
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDI3Mjg5MzEy.html
for $30 aussy bucks.
They work surprisingly well on cups with hot water or placed on ice cubes.
To really pimp them out you remove the power piston (it's not too difficult) and shade over it generously with a regular pencil (not too soft a pencil, as then, there is more clay and less graphite). Then you carefully dab a little lubricant on the moving parts, not the power piston though and not on the rod that goes through the top plate to the displacer, as they will gum up. Then place on a large cup of hot water that seals and covers as much of the base as possible, and place ice on top, then watch it go.

vamoose