Stirling Engine for my car

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
cheshireccat

Stirling Engine for my car

Post by cheshireccat »

I am researching a new engine for a VW bug. This would not be an on road car, only used in the desert once a year. We originally planned a standard steam engine, but I think that a stirling engine would be more fun. From what I have read here, my original plan for an alpha style stirling wouldn't give enough RPMs to go faster than 1mph. What I ideally would like is some plans, but contrary to common belief, you cannot find everything on the internet. Or maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Ideas? We were planning propane for thermal power.
Ian S C

Re: Stirling Engine for my car

Post by Ian S C »

Nice dream, I'd like one to power my bicycle. It will not take much reading to find that to produce a motor powerful enough to power a VW is going to take some considerable engineering (and a lot of money). The reason the Stirling Engine costs so much is that in general each one is a unique, ie one off, where as the IC engine is built by the millions per year, each new IC engine type costs millions in developement costs to get to prototype stage, but because of the scale of production this soon gets paid for. If some thing brings a halt to the IC engine, then the stirling Engine stands a chance. The way I would use the SE would be driving a generator in an electric car. Ian S C
aero

Re: Stirling Engine for my car

Post by aero »

There is a military design you can pull down for a Hybrid doe a search for DTIC Hybrid Linear Generator.pdf. The generator is attached to horizontally opposed Boxer style Stirling (like original VW engine).