Visual "marker" of a stirling engine?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
socialschism

Visual "marker" of a stirling engine?

Post by socialschism »

Hey, I am actually an artist rather than engine enthusiast and working on a comic. Without boring you all with the details I'm looking at putting stirling engine powered devices in a comic I'm working on, I like what I've seen of them from my searches but what I would like to know is there any sort of easy visual "marker" that would make an engine easily identifiable as a stirling engine? Much in the same way a boiler and steam pipes is an easy way to say "this is a steam engine"?
Ferraccio

Re: Visual "marker" of a stirling engine?

Post by Ferraccio »

Very difficult, (and easy) to do a sketch to define "a Stirling engine."
The Stirling engine is constitutionally very "mixed", ie it has three basic structures that will each give a very different look, then distinctions for low, medium, and high temperature, which for their part make much of other diversity of form.
Then there is the clique of unfortunates who "love" build (although no one forces them) with complicated linkages (VERY complicated) and using "strict" Red Bull cans, wire, and old condoms.
Their hope is to produce a lot of power generated (*): the result is that no one checks the power, but the few who do notice that with fires, flames, levers, and pistons crossed, you will get well ... few tenths of a watt.

Then there is (much more serious) the fact that the Stirling engine, (in this case not more important as a form, which might be taken from one of the stirling more "beautiful", visible levers), however, is analyzed for its function, which is to work with any fuel: biogas from fermented waste, wood, twigs, straw, coal, peat, dried cow dung, in the most forgotten of the world where such an Eskimo, burning the wood of firs, produces electricity to operate the computer, or television (*).
The outside of the "comic" is a powerful tool to get electricity (*) without necessarily resorting to fossil fuels.

(*) The Stirling engine is electively suitable for producing electricity, (is NOT suitable for automotive use, as it is); when overall exaust heat is recovered for cook or keep warm.
Good hope!
Ferraccio
Doogle

Post by Doogle »

Would be interested to know what the Stirling engine is used for in the comic strip. Knowing this might give rise to ideas of a design that you might like to think out about. There are various types of Stirling engine as Ferracio aludes to...is the comic strip futuristic or back in time...more info is perhaps needed?
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

How is really "the shape": you can find the images and video in youtube, digiting "stirling engine".
You can see so the variety of shapes, and of the materials.
- The engine is done by a side that is heated, and one other side that is cooled (frequently finned, in higher technology water jacketed), levers and flywheel, on the flywheel is normally connected a generator, normally by a pulley.
Ferraccio
presentteck

Post by presentteck »

ok, first off, i think i want a link to that comic if it's avlible. :)

I think the most recognizable forms would be one of these two... A lot of different designs may get confused for other things since the parts get hidden.

or
(possibly replace the glass displacer with a colored one of some sort, make it easier to see.
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

The first is a "Low Temperature", less performant and less common too.
The second is more typical, but is better if represented using metal instead of glass, (glass is heat insulating) here glass is used for Scenography, Show.
Both are "demonstrative model", on the flywheel should be added pulley and generator.
Ferraccio
socialschism

Post by socialschism »

Sorry I disappeared there. I lost access to reliable internet, still around, just maybe not as frequently as some internet goers may be.

Extra details on the comic, it's sort of a fantasy scifi where most things in the world are run on magic but not everyone has access to that magic so some of these non-magic folk are working on developing technological options. So, while it should probably be industrial revolution or only slightly later in appearance since it is new in this world I need it to function more futuristically so it can be on level with the magic tech that already exists. So realism isn't top priority. I started looking at stirling engines when one sources said geothermal power could run them and much of the comic takes place underground so it seemed like a good thing for genorators to run their base. Though, it may not be suitable for more vehicular devices and I'd like a cohesive visual style between all their technology... I don't know if there's any feasable handwave that might make an automotive stirling engine at least as workable as "reversing the polarity" seems to be for every other time scifi needs a technobabble explanation.

@presentteck - Thanks, unfortunately I'm still ironing out the visuals so there's no pages up anywhere but I'll return with a link once I've got that. Also, thanks for the images.
Doogle

Post by Doogle »

Hi Socialschism, thanks for the background on the comic book. I would suggest the visual marker for a Stirling engine (beta & gamma) would be the displacer. There was a topic in the forum http://stirlingengineforum.com/viewtopi ... 3429#p3418 with the following video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g0FHZzP ... re=related

This might be the type of image you are looking for.

Geothermal is a possibility but you would hve to dig pretty deep to get the kind of temperatures needed to create any worthwhile power. I am willing to be corrected on this by any others on the forum. As it is a fantasy comic then perhaps the limitations of a geothermal energy source can be skipped over.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I would suggest perhaps one of the vintage types of which there are a number to chose from, Heinrici, Rider, Ericson, Robinson, being the more comon ones, then there is the Philips of the mid 20th century. Ian S C
socialschism

Post by socialschism »

Thank you for the video and images. Currently I'm trying to sketch out some designs that I might could use in the comic and was wondering if I could get a breakdown on how some of these engines might work?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... engine.jpg - Not sure at al how this might work but it is interesting in design to me.

http://www.bengs-modellbau.de/magazin/w ... r-Pump.jpg - This appears to be a water pump? That seems like it'd be pretty useful for my MCs to have around their base.

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/fileadmi ... icsson.jpg - I'm lost on this one again but it's a design that caught my eye.

Also, if I posted the art when it's done would you be willing to offer a crit.?
Doogle

Post by Doogle »

Yep picture 2 is basically a model of pic 1. (Although slightly different design). To answer your own question do you see a visual marker in these engines? They are recognisable to Stirling enthusiasts but would they be so to your audience? The characteristic of a Stirling engine tends to be non visible. Nonetheless the Ryder Ericsson (as pictured in your selection) engines are classic and have a certain beauty. Can send you a vid of one working should you wish?

I certainly would volunteer for artwork appraisal duty if needed.