work on tin can engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
theropod2

Re: work on tin can engine

Post by theropod2 »

Ante,

If the rod and gland now allow very free travel I would not take any more material out of that bolt/gland.

R
Ante

Post by Ante »

of course

When I mentioned next drilling, I thought on next gland

Salute!
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

At least you got a good fit, thats the main thing, not how thats not important. You might find with a bit of (careful) experimenting, that your drill press is actually a little vertical lathe, but I'll let you think about that.
Ian S C
theropod2

Post by theropod2 »

Ante wrote:of course

When I mentioned next drilling, I thought on next gland

Salute!

Sorry, my bad.

R
Ante

Post by Ante »

hello
here me again :)
I do some homework, and dig all around to find some cans and similar things for displacer cylinder.

here they are: Image

so I need advice what to use for my cylinder. on totally left you can see working piston, cylinder and support for cylinder, so you can feel what ratios I need (I am familiar with ratios).

by geometry best solution is second from left, deo-spray but it is made of thick aluminium (0,5 mm), and it has some type of coating inside.

then I have aluminium can of half of liter (third from left), but I think it will be too deformed during vacuum inside, and it is little to big for this working cylinder.
I was searching for some stainless steel containers- pipes but nothing on sight...

I can also use two small tin cans (first from left) but that will not be a good geometry nor size.

So for the first prototype what you propose?

And one more question, some tin cans have some plastic coating inside, whether it should be taken into account, or just ignore?

Thank you in advance