kickstarter project to build a $100 - 1kW stirling engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
meow

kickstarter project to build a $100 - 1kW stirling engine

Post by meow »

Hi all,
Just wanted to announce that a kickstarter.com project for building a $100, 1kW stirling engine has been started. Please go through this link for more information:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/672 ... ing-engine

Regards,
Pavan
jimlarsen

Re: kickstarter project to build a $100 - 1kW stirling engin

Post by jimlarsen »

That sounds ambitious. Can you buy the raw materials for $100? There are un-powered communities all around the world that would love a cheap motor.
Junkie

Post by Junkie »

They've exceeded their funding target, so we will hopefully be seeing the engine available in the not too distant future :cool:
http://www.scraptopower.co.uk My web site, Stirling engines and AE stuff.
theropod2

Post by theropod2 »

Junkie wrote:They've exceeded their funding target, so we will hopefully be seeing the engine available in the not too distant future :cool:
Agreed, but I want to see testing to destruction and ability to carry a sustained load, and projected mean time between failure and/or rebuild, BTU input to power, recycling of waste heat, and a lot of details we don't see yet. It's one thing to make something but another to build a long running high quality engine. A 1 KW generator is going to cost more than any $100, and if it's expected to push that 1K for very long it better be robust>.I don't think $100 will buy that. My large frame L/N alternator cost twice this much and more.

I hope all this can be done with $100 for the engine, but I doubt it. IF they could build one that would run for a year and produce 500 watts 24/7 and cost $300 I'd buy 3.