glass piston and cylinder

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Shanex-2

glass piston and cylinder

Post by Shanex-2 »

Well after looking for good piston and cylinder materials I think I found one of the best for the money. It is glass syringe from nttworldwide.com . The one I got was a 30 ml @ $19.95 each shipping included they have other sizes availlibel. Since I don't have a lathe yet to make my own piston and cyl this is a perfect solution. Now I can build an alpha engine . Has anyone built engines using glass syringes . If so how much was the syringe and what configuration was the engine?
I love it when an engine comes together.
Ian S C

Re: glass piston and cylinder

Post by Ian S C »

Shanex, If you look on google, you'll find Koichi Hirata in Japan http://www.khirata@gem.bekkoame.ne.jp this chap uses glass syringes for pistons and cylinders, and his motors are well worth looking at.
there is a thread someware (I can't find it just now) about using comercial glass cylinders with carbon pistons, I think they are made for door closers, someone will tell us. Ian S C I think the assembly is made by Airpot(r)
Shanex-2

Post by Shanex-2 »

thanks for the link those are some nice engines and they are alpha style to boot. I am saving up for a nice bench top lathe new or used it doesn't matter . Anything 1.250 and smaller bore size the glass syringe seems to be the most cost effective unless you are going above 500 degrees .
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Shanex, the last motor I built is a GAMA, based on the ALPHA design from Koichi Hirata's boat engine, my motor has a stainles hot end, and a mild steel displacer. I intend to build an ALPHA vertion when all the bits come together. Glass syringes would be handy, but I don't know where I would get one here, can't find test tubes either. Ian S C
Shanex-2

Post by Shanex-2 »

WOW that would be a problem. I know shipping costs add up fast.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Don't worry Shanex, I locate most of my materials as freebies, although sometimes I do give in and buy some bits, like pieces of aluminium tooling plate that I can get from a local companies scrap bin. Or I sometimes buy replacement skateboard wheel bearings, 8 mm bore, and about a $ each. Ian S C