Stirling-Apha heat pump, and finned pistons

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
spinningmagnets

Stirling-Apha heat pump, and finned pistons

Post by spinningmagnets »

I have been assured by people who seem to understand these things, that a heat pump is a wonderful thing, rather than using a conventional A/C unit to cool your home, and a gas flame to heat it. That being said...

I won't replay the working principle of an Alpha-Stirling here (for the new readers), and this discussion will assume the interested reader is already familiar with how they work.

If we apply heat and cold to an Alpha-Stirling, the crankshaft will be driven with power. If we reverse that and a motor is attached to the crankshaft, spinning the Alpha with power results in one side getting warmer and the other side getting cooler. We can see this principle at work from the many cryo-coolers which throw the heat away, and use to cold side to liquify oxygen and nitrogen (among other profitable super-cooling jobs).

The link I will add below, along with the picture I will also post here, is a driven Alpha, with the hot side and cold side heating one loop of silicone oil, and cooling another loop of silicone oil. I suppose in the summer you would "throw away" the hot air, and use the cold air to make your home more comfortable, and...in the winter you would throw away the cold air, and use the hot.

There are two interesting things about this for me. I've seen several clever proposals on youtube for scaling up some kind of "fluidyne" Stirling. I found those when researching liquid pistons in a "U-pipe". As I'm sure many of you know better than me, the thought of using helium as the working gas adds several complications, the main one being how to seal the pistons. Bellows have benefits and drawbacks. We "could" encapsulate the engine except for the outsides of the hot and cold ends. Pressure inside the cylinders would rise and fall, but the crankcase would contain a "medium" pressure of helium, which should balance out any piston leakage. Who knows?

Anyways, there were several interesting features that might have some application to a potential design bouncing around this forum, so I thought I'd post it. The link starts the youtube at 6:55, where the animations are. The "R" is the regenerator. Low restriction to gas flow, lots of area to transfer heat/cold.

https://youtu.be/X1fiABe4x08?t=415
A
A
StirlingHeatPump.png (587.23 KiB) Viewed 95 times
FINNED PISTONS

The second thing that really caught my eye was the finned pistons. He mentions that a key issue is using a Stirling engine/pump is heat transfer. Of course you can switch to helium to improve that a little, but even with helium, can we improve that? When a piston is moving through an open cylinder there can be quite a lot of stratified flow. A thin layer of gasses that are touching the cylinder walls is heated or cooled, but a large portion of gasses in the center do not absorb/shed much.

Imagine taking a very long piston that is almost solid aluminum/copper, and on the crown of the piston (the part facing the gasses), you cut very deep grooves, so deep that 90% of the piston volume becomes fins. These heat-pump pistons have the crank above vertical cylinders, and the pistons are driven in a downwards direction into the silicone oil below. The gas is squeezed or expanded when the piston goes into the oil, or is pulled up.

For our purposes, below each piston could be a similar set of fins that mesh with the piston (rather than silicone oil). These could be made from stacked plates (perhaps aluminum on the cold side and steel on the hot side?), and they could be made in such a way that they form a cylinder in its center. In this way, the cylinders could have fins on the inside and outside of the cylinders, formed by stacked plates, cut to shape? I'll post a drawing later to clarify.

The video from the company that is making these suggested that two millimeters was the optimum gap for heat transfer from closely-mounted fins to a working gas.
spinningmagnets

Re: Stirling-Apha heat pump, and finned pistons

I made a few minor changes to the regenerator graphic above (compared to the original graphic in the youtube) to make it more easily understandable to those who are new to Stirlings.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is the company for anyone who may wish to research this more

https://www.fluidmechanics.co.uk/near-i ... heat-pump/

This is the "finned piston" that dips into the silicone oil. These appear to have some curves, and for my purposes, all the fins would be made flat and parallel. The company used thin metal in the fins to increase the surface area, and then curved the fins to increase stiffness and reduce flex.

B
B
StirlingFinnedPiston.png (519.72 KiB) Viewed 91 times
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Somewhere on YouTube was a company making similar finned air compressor pistons. I can no longer find it. One unfortunate draw back with the liquid version is(I think) the loss of effective displacement when the fins are submerged and likely large airflow losses from the maze of fins that would seem to make high cycle rates difficult.
spinningmagnets

The company website reported that the fastest they could get it to run well was 1500-RPM. I don't know how accurate that is, but even if its really 10% less, it's likely good enough for any device I might make.

I apologize for the potato quality of the drawing. This is what I was thinking for the finned piston on a DIY Stirling, which then inspired some thoughts for a rotary Stirling.
C
C
Stirling rotary.png (13.54 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Last edited by spinningmagnets on Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

That's pretty similar to a lot of other Alphas, so maybe not a real concern.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I think you've already noticed, but the big issue with any alteration / increase of surface area is that it tends to also increase the dead volume, which is generally considered "a bad thing" but maybe its a worthwhile trade-off?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

MikeB, I'm not sure any dead volume is added with the liquid seal design.