new concept of Stirling engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Tom Booth

Re: new concept of Stirling engine

Post by Tom Booth »

Just FYI,

It appears that "My" so-called new and "improved" Tesla Fluid Diode is not actually new or improved at all.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2358561

Tesla had described and illustrated this same variation in design in 1935
tesla_open_vacuum_tube_1.jpg
tesla_open_vacuum_tube_1.jpg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
The intended use here was for a kind of open air vacuum tube. Apparently, the open nozzle, though directly exposed to atmosphere, prevented the loss of vacuum by means of the convoluted shape of the inner walls of the tube.
MikeWonders

Post by MikeWonders »

normandajc wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:08 pm Thanks Tom

I will prepare some CAO drawings
Greetings,

New here to the forums today, having stumbled on this recent active link of considerable interest...

The heat engine concept of altering the recuperator design to reduce dead volume shows a nice potential for gains if it doesn't increase complexity, albeit I did not see a net effect of gain demonstrated per se. Reduction of dead volume is certainly an important concept if it results in higher efficiency, unless this was demonstrated and I overlooked it. If I overlooked it, apologies in advance, or is there a projected gain you can suggest quantitatively?

I actually have interest in looking at your design in our application of stored heat to electrical generation which might benefit what we currently are developing for linear free-piston Stirling application and patent(s) were tendering as well. In other words, if your design were beneficial to our application in Free-piston then we may have mutual motivation to help you prototype and analyze the working example.

As for moving your effort from design to practice, you may find a need to begin with a prototyping shop or a small concern capable of multi-disciplinary application of metal arts, engineering and fabrication. This requires a collection of resources, experience, education and cleverness to understand the concept and then apply the concept in a means to produce a first generation, one off working example (cost effectively). That first example may in fact require several tested iterations of materials, methods and fabrication optimization. A prototype team needs to function with you intuitively and take ownership of the responsibility to be efficient and provide valuable input to manufacturing methods. In our recent efforts in sustainable biomass heat to energy conversion, my small team ended up evolving our own means to do prototyping. A small team well versed can provide a better and more fully integrated result than the cost of a custom tooling shop dead ending liability against ongoing billing for repeat cycles of services provided on accumulated hours. Numerical simulation must always have a real-world working confirmation, so trying to determine feasibility and real manufacturing cost can never be reliably derived simply by simulation without the working model to confirm the simulation's accuracy.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to exchange further details.

I might also suggest asking the moderators if they could move the Tesla diode valve discussion to a sub-forum of this forum. The two dialogs may be relevant, but inter-mixed they somewhat distract from each other.

Regards and all the best in your effort.
MikeWonders
===========
(Carbon is not the predominate cause of climate impact).
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

normandajc wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:08 pm Thanks Tom

I will prepare some CAO drawings
That's CAD (computer aided design) used for CNC machining actual parts. Assuming "CAO" is not just a typo, or is CAO something specific I haven't heard of?