New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Ian S C

Re: "Hi...We are new here!" First posts here (or anywhere is OK)

Post by Ian S C »

Welcome Voxelman, you'll find all sorts here. For home and water heating, go geothermal. For electridity I am coming to the conclusion that the best way I can see is if a group (city block, sub division, small town) get together and provide their own power, and at the same time their own cell and internet. How about a local body law, All houses shall have PV cells on their roofs, and maybe solar/geothermal hot water. A good idea for coming years, solar on the garage roof for charging the E-car. Enough from me, I'll hang around to see what you come up with. Ian S C ps have a happy new year for 2019.
voxelman

Post by voxelman »

Ian, I’ve already read several of your posts and appreciate your knowledge and experience in this area. Thank you for your supportive words. It is early days and I still have much to learn. Happy New Year to you as well and a prosperous 2019l
Ferrum

Re: Registering, and Deactivated...PLEASE READ!

Post by Ferrum »

Hi,
I have made a number of stationary steam engines and having seen a demonstration at an exhibition have become interested in Stirling engines.
Cheers,
Ron
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Welcome to the gang Ron. These motors tend to be a bit addictive, and when you make them (the way I do) they get better(usually) with each new one. I'v been building since about 1990, have not done much except modify old ones for the last couple of years.

Ian S C
Vandee

Post by Vandee »

Hey there, new guy here. I'm very interested in free piston Stirling engines to be used in conjunction with rocket mass heaters for off the grid applications in combined heat and power. Located in Alberta, Canada where the current temperature is -34 degrees C ....lol.
Potaroig

Post by Potaroig »

Hello.
I'm a new member from Barcelona, Catalonia.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Hi Vandee, +30*C here today. I have only built two free piston motors, the first a BETA type didn't work too well, I found later that it was all my fault, too much steel around the magnets I had on the piston to generate power. The second one , a GAMMA motor goes quite well, plenty of aluminium, and bronze. My motors are fairly small and unpressurised, but one thing I have found is that mechanical springs are a big pain to get right, so I use a pair of magnets as springs for the power piston (like poles repel), the moving magnet passes between wire coils to generate electricity. The displacer operates as in a Ringbom motor, and only has springs to soften the blow of the displacer on the ends of the hot cylinder. The magnets used are ex Micro wave oven, similar and bigger magnets can be got from old speakers, in your motor rare earth magnets would be a help.

Ian S C
Attachments
DSC00843 (640x480).jpg
DSC00843 (640x480).jpg (250.6 KiB) Viewed 35051 times
Rahmsauce

Post by Rahmsauce »

Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I created my account to find troubleshooting tips for my stirling engine that I just built and won't run. I'd really appreciate you checking out my post about that.
Rahmsauce

Post by Rahmsauce »

Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I've created this account to maybe get some advice to get my stirling engine running that I just built. I'd really appreciate you checking out my post about that.
Zebulon

Post by Zebulon »

New here. Hi everyone. I am looking to learn as much as possible about the Stirling cycle as I want to build a 50hp unit eventually. Just because.
I have two little model motors but I feel like there is so much more that can be done that these desktop motors don not address. I already downloaded about 15 of the NASA technical papers on the Stirling engine, and I have been reading through them. But information is difficult to find.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

50hp is a bit optimistic, you will need a good machine shop, and deep pockets, A good start is to aim for a few hundred Watts. A least with a presurised motor, and modern materials the size comes down, in the old days it was thought that 1 ton per horse power was good going. I assume that you built the two little ones, did you design them, or buy kits?

Ian S C
Vjdeep

Post by Vjdeep »

hello everyone! i am Venkat from Southern India. I am in my final year of engineering. I have built 2 Stirling engines(basic gamma type) over my free time. now am currently building a beta version engine. to power it with Fresnel lens which i ripped off my old projector TV. Looking forward to help and get help. Cheers :)
Sits

Post by Sits »

Hello to all! I'm new to the forum. But Stirling engines are my hobby. My friends and I make small batches of physical toys. In particular, we have several working models of the Stirling engine, of different types.
Grorco

Post by Grorco »

Hello everyone, I just recently learned of sterling engines and found the idea behind them amazing. I'm looking forward to learning more, and finding some great discussion on the topic.
Mr Scott

Post by Mr Scott »

I didn't see this first but here I am. I have several old books on mechanical engineering and searched the Web extensively trying to get more information on Stirling engines. I'm not sure if I can do the projects I want, but that's why I joined. Mr Scott