New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Ian S C

Re: "Hi" We are new here!

Post by Ian S C »

Chris, sorry to hear of the health issues, hope you get that sorted soon, it's been exciting hearing how you and your pupils have got on year to year building Stirling Engines, an inspiration to all who follow you.
Ian S C
Hobblerian

Post by Hobblerian »

Ello all, I'm Ian, I'm alive n I hobble.

Just been trying to make couple of fans for my woodburner, 1 Peltier module based one, and a more challenging stirling based one.

Needless to say the Peltier is up and running, however the stirling has a few more niggles that need knocking out of it. Chief of which is, I can't get it running at the moment but I've not given up on it yet :smile:
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Hi Ian, I'm Ian also, and I hobble a bit too. You will see Images 18 to the right of this post click on that, and go to page 2, you will see my stovetop Stirling Engine Fan.
Ian S C
Hobblerian

Post by Hobblerian »

Very nice, when I get the chance I'll upload a picture or 2 of my fan project in my personal album. Though as of yet it's not running. I still got a couple of things in mind to try with it, I haven't thrown in the towel just yet. It was while searching for Ideas and inspiration I stumbled across this forum. :smile:
Intrepid Wheelwoman

Post by Intrepid Wheelwoman »

Hello I'm new to the forum and new to Stirling engines. I would like to build a gamma type engine that would run a modified car alternator and while I'm reasonably skilled with light car and elderly motorcycle projects and can weld and braze & etc learning about Stirling engines is going to be a whole new ball game for me.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Welcome Wheelwoman, car alternators are fairly inefficient, for an alternator of similar or better out put think about trying to get the DC motor from a tread mill, you might get one from a gym, they get rid of them/replace them reasonably often, if you can drive it to full power, you'll get a Kw or more out of it, probably be happy with half of that.
You might need a lathe as well as the welder.
Ian S C
Intrepid Wheelwoman

Thanks for the welcome Ian :smile: I should have mentioned that I do have a lathe, - a Myford which was my present to myself when I retired.

Thank you too for the tip about using a DC motor from a treadmill, - I will look into that.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Good to see someone with machinery, you can't drive much with a tin can motor. They are all right I suppose to see how these motors work. My motors range from fractions of a Watt, up to 5 Watts or so. After the lathe, mill, bandsaw etc, I want a TIG welder(dream on)
Ian S C
Intrepid Wheelwoman

Ian S C wrote:Good to see someone with machinery, you can't drive much with a tin can motor. They are all right I suppose to see how these motors work. My motors range from fractions of a Watt, up to 5 Watts or so. After the lathe, mill, bandsaw etc, I want a TIG welder(dream on)
Ian S C
TIG is something I haven't tried so far. I have a basic MIG welder, but I don't really like it and will most probably will sell it soon. My arc welder is a really good German made one and since I much prefer to braze anything that's smaller in size the MIG welder is largely redundant.
aurochs

Post by aurochs »

Hello all! Mechanical Engineering Undergrad here. I'm going to be frank with you all and just say that the main reason I joined this forum is due to my final undergrad project which involves Stirling engines. Anyway, i hope to learn a lot from my stay in these forums, and as I have almost zero technical knowledge about these engines, it's going to be one very long stay. :big smile:

Aurochs
Philippines
gernoff

Post by gernoff »

I too am new here. Hope to learn something intersting.
pineobe

Post by pineobe »

Hello. I am new to your forum, and thrilled that it exists! I am located in Rhode Island, and have had a Rider Ericsson 8" engine on my bucket list for years. I guess it is time to tackle it! Brandon
macart52

Post by macart52 »

Looks like I'm the newest here, from Missouri and I've always been intrigued with any type engine, especially old designs, like these engines on here. Also I'm into small steam. Thanks for letting me join.

Doug
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi
I come from Vietnam and i try to design Stirling engine.
Nice to meet you all
Dev

Post by Dev »

I post, therefore I am.

I'm a long time Stirling fan but without machine tool capacity I never attempted a construction project. Now I'm the proud new papa of a vintage Logan lathe and I'm ready to dive into these engines in a major way.