First Test Successful

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
jumpers

First Test Successful

Post by jumpers »

Hey! It really DOES WORK!! I "finished" my first tincan walking beam this evening, and it worked just fine. I didn't think it would for some reason, but once it started to gather it's momentom, the rods came flying off and the power piston almost blew right out of the cylinder lol. I'll put the connecting-rod-type-keeper-nuts on the flywheels' eccentric shaft now lol. This is truely a wonder that has been overlooked for many years.
The plans found on this site are great for learning, and I will continue to explore the possibility of building a larger model to power my camp.
Thanks Darryl, for sharing your plans.If you have any more on other types of stirlings, I would love to try them out too.
I'll be spending the next few days installing a side burner off of a BBQ for a heat source, and when I finish tweekin', I'll send some pics.
Later.
royuk

Post by royuk »

Well don jumpers, Keep up the good work. I will look farward to seeing the pics.

Roy
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sheepdog1951/
If you are not part of the solution; you are part of the problem.
SScandizzo

Post by SScandizzo »

Way to go, Jumpers. I think the first successful engine is the toughest. On a few of my posts I have referred to my "test bed" engine but I hadn't given a description of it, so here it is.

http://www.stirlingengine.com/file-stor ... ion_id=254

It is a gamma beam engine with one crank just behind the flywheel. The counterweight in the flywheel is a US penny (for scale reference). Total height is 7 inches, flywheel diameter is 3 inches, power cylinder displacement is 3.14 cc. Speed tops out at about 650 rpm with the pictured burner. It's a bit ugly because it has been torn down and rebuilt a number of times, but I'm very proud of the fact that I was able to build it with only hand tools.

I'm currently building a duplicate of this engine that I hope will be more cosmetically appealing.

-Stefan