Research

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Tines

Research

Post by Tines »

Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum. And rather new to stirling engines.

If you couldn't tell I'm doing some research on engines, and stirling engines have really caught my eye.

So I actually have a particular question. I've read a bunch of the posts and discovered many different types of engines, but I'm wondering which is the most powerful type of stirling engine. And if you don't mind taking the time why?

Thanks a bunch.
Last edited by Tines on Wed May 02, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theropod

Power?

Post by theropod »

Hi Tines,

I'm new here too, and welcome aboard! This is a great site/forum for all things Stirling.

Now to your question regarding most powerful Stirlings;
This is such vast subject getting a fairly intelligent answer to that will be problematic. How do we measure the power? by HP or Kilowatts or...? Then we need to consider whether energy put into the engine (power) to output (power) ratio is the true factor we are looking at. Then we need to investigate what form the output power is transmitted and used. Do we measure the actual product of the output power, or shaft power? Do we want a slow turning high torque engine or a high rpm lower torque engine? The application, or use of the power, is a factor. Pumping water requires a different power factor than generating electricity, as would an aircraft engine, and so on and so on. Do we want an engine power to be at maximum at the cost of the engine's life, or do we want a longer life with less output? Sortta like a race engine as opposed to a daily driver. Can an engine that produces .1 HP at a given size be scaled up to produce 1 HP with a corresponfing BTU input?

See what I mean? In order to supply an answer we need to look at the big picture and factor in as much information as possible.

I'd be oh so happy with the measured pure shaft HP the Ridder-Ericsson 10" pumper was capable of producing. Mr. Ericsson built some huge engines, we're talking 12 foot diameter displacers here. Anybody got a more powerful referenced Stirling? Maybe the modern submarine engine?

Anyway, great subject worth serious dialoge.

Roger
7 years off-grid and loving it!
Tines

Post by Tines »

Thanks for the welcoming, I have a lot to learn I realize and thank you for bearing with me.

Well let me tell you a little about myself, I'm going to college next year and studying automotive technology. I have a sever love for muscle cars nd can't wait till I earn enough to get my own.

Now that is said I think its quite easy to understand what I think about power. I think of an engine and I see a car. So, when I ask most powerful I am indeed thinking of HP. The size of an engine I am sure will vary the output, but the best size to power ratio would be ideal. As for rpm and torque, I guess I'm not sure lol. And I know I'm missing much more, but if you can just imagine it as an engine in a car (I know there are issues with that being unrealistic but thats not the point).

I looked into rider ericsson, do you have a site that explains the engine you are talking about?

Oh and I was noticing three major variants with stirling. Single cylinder, Two cylinder, and the ross yoke. Perhaps the difference is in there. AM I missing any?

PS. Forgive the sloppiness, I'm a little tired.