Hayward Tyler snifting valve

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
irolfe

Hayward Tyler snifting valve

Post by irolfe »

Hi I'm new here, I'm a member of a small pumping station museum. We have a Hayward Tyler 'stirling' pumping engine which we have successfully run for quite a few years. Last year while running it the 'snifting valve' at the back of the cold cylinder started blowing and the engine lost power and stopped. On examining the valve I'm convinced a bit has gone missing. Inside the vale body there is a metal and what looks like a fibre disc. Both with holes in the middle. The plug that screws into the top of the body has a stem sticking down from it but is not long enough to reach the discs. With what is present I don't see how it could possibly work as the hole will let air pass both ways. My feeling is there should be some sort of spring loaded plunger.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or drawings / photo's of a complete one so we can make the missing bit.

I'll post a photo of what we have when I worked out how to put photo's on here.

Thanks
Ian
Ian S C

Re: Hayward Tyler snifting valve

Post by Ian S C »

Ian, Under the message box there is a box Full Editor & Preview, click that and then just follow the words. Don't know the Hayward Tyler motor, I'll be interested in seeing it.

Ian S C
meero

Re: Hayward Tyler snifting valve

Post by meero »

Friction is probably the most important thing to get rid of. Some people even take the shields off the ball races, and wash out the grease, replacing it with a very small amount of very light grade oil. It might be worth using a lubricant on the gears that is Teflon/PTFE based, use absolute minimum.