Rhombic Drive, Thermoacoustics

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
JL1877

Rhombic Drive, Thermoacoustics

Post by JL1877 »

Greetings, everyone! I've been researching the fundamentals of Stirling Engines for the past few years. I've always been a perfectionist---if I build it it has to be done right, which is why I focused on the rhombic drive and its several advantages over conventional connections.

Somehow or another, I did stumble upon Thermoacoustics, which I find to be a total pain, but these do have several unique advantages over their Stirling Engine counterparts. Keep in mind, I'm talking about actual thermoacoustic engines, not the thermal-lag-piston-rotating-a-flywheel engines.

Has anyone here ever looked into these style of engines and made a non-subjective comparison to the conventional Stirling Engine?

If the answer is "yes," which one would you prefer?

I've always been a fan of crank-style heat engines and the beauty and elegance that they can offer, especially when they are running. On the same note I'm finding it difficult to ignore the simplicity and reliability that a standing-wave thermoacoustic engine has to offer.

YouTube doesn't have a lot of resources (or questionable resources at best) when it comes to seeing these engines operate with any kind of output.

I'm just curious to what everyone thinks about these....
Ian S C

Re: Rhombic Drive, Thermoacoustics

Post by Ian S C »

If you do a hunt through this forum(unless someone shows you where), there are threads on Thermoacoustic engines, as well as the thermal lag types. Put thermal acoustic motor in the search box top R/H of the page, you should find about 40 threads.
Ian S C