Axial Flux Generator - Experimental Model

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Trevor

Axial Flux Generator - Experimental Model

Post by Trevor »

HI - Just got back from a few weeks off down south and noticed a lot of action while I was gone. Ian mate, like those engines of yours and I think there was a discussion on generators, hence this post.
The photo is of the axial generator I finished a few weeks ago and never got to try it out. The diameter is 150mm (6") and fitted with 25 X 10 X 3mm (1 X 3/8 X 1/8") Neo Magnets. Wound with 9 coils (3 phase) of .4mm {poofteenth off 1/32" --- heehee) 200 turns and fitted into slots cut out of a piece of 12mm (1/2") plywood.
The results were quite fascinating as it is the first time I have made one and is designed for an hot air engine which I will be building in the near future.
At 400 Rev's 6volt .8A - At 1000 Rev's 12Volts 1.2A - and at 1800 Rev's it saturated at 18 Volts 2.5A. Not bad for a small unit as this.
Anyway, I thought I would share it with you as it will be going on the hot air engine for the pig.
Trev
Attachments
Axial Flux Generator-2.jpg
Axial Flux Generator-2.jpg (30.07 KiB) Viewed 5261 times
Axial Flux Generator-1.jpg
Axial Flux Generator-1.jpg (28.5 KiB) Viewed 5261 times
Axial Flux Generator.jpg
Axial Flux Generator.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 5261 times
Ian S C

Re: Axial Flux Generator - Experimental Model

Post by Ian S C »

That's going to take quite a bit to get full power. At 400 rpm 4.8 Watts, 1000 rpm 14.4 Watts, and at 1800 rpm 45 Watts, and to get that the motor should be designed to give about 90 Watts mechanical at the crankshaft. But what ever you put it on, you'll get out what you put in minus a bit, small generators/alternators I usually allow 50%.
Ian S C
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hi Ian - You always make my day. One day I hope I get the chance to meet you in person.
That small Generator should get what I need as the engine should be able to put out the 400 rpm I require and at approx. 6v. With the LED Lighting I am considering will only draw 220mA. Here's hoping Ian!
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

You have a good chance there, with a diode in the line there is a chance of running a small radio.
Ian S C
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Alas! Wo is me Ian. I canna nota doa mu radio unles da with valves (hahaha).
I am from the valve era Ian and man, would I love to be able to run a battery type one, but will still need 90+ volts or so.
Trev