2 KWh LTD Stirling Engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Rafik_A

Re: 2 KWh LTD Stirling Engine

Post by Rafik_A »

Hello,
the same group of people made a 1kW Stirling engine at 2.5 bar. It is much more compact than the first.
here is a photo and the link to the original publication (instagram) : https://www.instagram.com/p/B4ApxFUFhLC/
I also work on a stirling engine which operates at low temperature. I'm on my sixth prototype and it's starting to work well.
Rafik
Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (89.79 KiB) Viewed 6915 times
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Rafik_A wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:46 am Hello,
I also work on a stirling engine which operates at low temperature. I'm on my sixth prototype and it's starting to work well.
Are there people who are still working on the same subject?
Rafik
Do you have any pictures or videos of any of your prototypes?

I am always interested in any kind of power producing Stirling engines.

I have several ideas about how power output in a Stirling might be improved. Unfortunately, finding the time to actually build something to test out those ideas has been difficult.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Aviator168 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:11 pm Assuming you can get 20% mechanical power, @ 180rpm, you are going to need to heat at least 10 grams of air up by 100 degree and cool it down again in every cycle.
my 2 c
I've been wondering about this for a long long time, the "cool it down again" part.

Not to be argumentative. Certainly a Stirling runs better with some active cooling, but, I do believe cooling a Stirling engine is not necessarily required.

A Stirling engine converts heat into work. The heat gets used up. The heat is changed into another form of energy and so does not need to be removed.

This is most apparent, I think, in a lamina flow or so-called "thermoacoustic" Stirling where a constant heat is applied, but no heat is actively removed with any obvious cooling system.

In other words, a Stirling engine cools itself by converting the heat into work.