Stirling engine for dynamic analysis

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
setonasjonas

Stirling engine for dynamic analysis

Post by setonasjonas »

Hi everyone!

I've been interested in Stirling for some time now and here I am joining your community with a hope you could help me a little bit.

I am 1st year student for masters degree in mechanical engineering in Vilnius Gediminas technical university (Lithuania). For my master's thesis I have to choose a device and make a dynamic analysis of it and suggest solutions for improving the device. I thought it would be really cool if that device could be Stirling engine, but the problem is I don't own any Stirling engines and this is where I need your help.

I have two options: to make a Stirling engine (that would be more educating for me and would improve my chances of getting better grade) or buy one.
As I am not very competent in this field I thought you could help me here. I am looking either for drawings of Stirling engine I could make or model of Stirling engine I could buy.

Before I go into specifications of Stirling engine I am looking for, I want to mention I have access to CNC milling and turning centers so I can make precise parts.

Here's what I'm looking for:
Type: alpha Ross Yoke or beta;
RPM: would be nice if it could reach at least 1000, preferably more;
Size: around 10cm^2 would be nice. not bigger than 20cm^2.

So if you have drawings of Stirling engine or maybe you have bought a nice model of Stirling engine and you recommend it for me, please write. Any advice is welcome. Or even maybe you have ideas of different Stirling engine please share it with me.
Ian S C

Re: Stirling engine for dynamic analysis

Post by Ian S C »

No drawings, I used a diagram in Andy Ross's book (free down load)"Making Stirling Engines", my motor has no regenerator, it has produced nearly 10W, but the normal power is around 5W. The bore of the cylinders is 32 mm, and the stroke is 20 mm.
To make a GAMMA motor to a similar design there is two ways: (1) You leave the symmetrical bell crank/yoke, and the hot cylinder is changed to be the displacer cylinder, the swept volume is increased by 50%, by increasing the diameter and lengthening it to suit. (2) change the bell crank so that the hot side is 50% longer (to give longer stroke), leave the bore of the displacer cylinder the same as the power cylinder. the displacer length should be three times it's diameter, and 1 mm to 2mm clearance around the displacer, and a similar gap at each end.
Ian S C
[img]
Test 008 (640x480).jpg
Test 008 (640x480).jpg (185.55 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
[/img]