Harwell TMG

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Luka

Harwell TMG

Post by Luka »

I am new & I am very curious to know if anyone at the forum has actually built a TMG (Thermo-mechanical Generator).
Years ago I watched youtube videos posted by Barumman. These are in-depth instructional videos about how to build a Harwell TMG https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJOo8A ... S_MFaV35Mw
I have been attempting to build a functional version for the last 18 months.
The device now works with continuous output of about 7W but it is very difficult to control, overheats & is very noisy. In the videos it looked like a somewhat simple device but it is far from simple.
I would just like to know if anyone else has successfully built a Harwell TMG? If so would it be possible to have a discussion about the various issues faced by the parties who have attempted such a build....
Ledlights

Re: Harwell TMG

Post by Ledlights »

Hi Luka,

Isn't there another TMG shown on YouTube too (https://youtu.be/DFy4lzGUHyM)? Would it be worth contacting him?

I know that some members of the Stirling Engine Society have some information on the TMG as they had met and talked about the design with Cooke-Yarborough. Perhaps an email to them might yield some information? I also understand that one of the Harwell prototypes still exists.

I think you've done rather well to do get this far.

Steve
Luka

Re: Harwell TMG

Post by Luka »

Hi Steve,
Actually I am already in contact with Igor (the guy who made the other TMG in the video link you mentioned).
From what I can understand Barumman once met Cooke-Yarborough & designed his engine based on that conversation. I may try to contact the SE society as them may know of more examples. In fact, I am very up to speed on the theory of the TMG & have read as much literature as possible. I was really trying to see if there was anyone else out there who had actually built one that works. It looks very simple but the devil is in the detail. I will get a better output when I use Helium & pressurize the device but there are other issues to overcome before I get to that. It is looking like it may need water cooling & an adaptive load so the device is moving from clean & simple to dirty & complex. The device has almost no moving parts & I was hoping it could run for years with zero maintenance (so be suitable for use in inaccessible areas). However, the more complex it becomes the less 'world proof'' it will become. Just to make life even harder once I get it working perfectly my intention is that it will use solar power during the day & any other fuel when the sun goes down. It may take 10 more years but no doubt it will be worthwhile !