Does the stirling engine have a future in competing with IC engines?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Josephkaisner

Does the stirling engine have a future in competing with IC engines?

Post by Josephkaisner »

Does the stirling engine have anything (reality here) for the IC engine world?
Ian S C

Re: Does the stirling engine have a future in competing with IC engines?

Post by Ian S C »

For one it doesn't require hydrocarbon fuel. It's virtually silent. It should not be compared to the IC engine.
Ian S C
Josephkaisner

Post by Josephkaisner »

What do you guys think about connecting a stirling engine to a hydrostatic transmission? For use in an ATV.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

For a vehicle my idea is to use it as a generator/ battery charger for some sort of electric vehicle, something ranging from a motorised bicycle, to a heavy haulage truck, although with the big stuff, a small gas turbine APU is very economical.
Ian S C
tentstovenerd

Post by tentstovenerd »

It says China submarine uses Stirling engine imported from Sweden.
and It bocomes much quite
Josephkaisner

Post by Josephkaisner »

I mean, we can talk about stirling engines all that we want, but how can stirling engines in reality do anything for the world?
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

i'm interested in whether a sterling is suitable for a bicycle application. i've seen youtube video of experimental transportation and watercraft but wonder the degree of practical use. of course 'practical' can be a bit subjective.
Wellington

Re: The Pros and Cons of Stirling Engines

Post by Wellington »

Ive studied almost every alternative technology available and each technology has its pros and cons. From the practical point of view I have ended up choosing stirling engines as my area of interest because they are so practical and flexible compared to other technologies. Feel free to correct the list below if you don't agree with any of the points:

Pros:

They are location independent (no need for a wind, hydro power source which is static)
They are virtually silent and if necessary a bigger engine can be soundproofed in a box under the lawn with a fire pit.
They are multi fuel and so are very flexible in any kind of emergency
Very low maintainance if engine is built well compared to diesel/petrol internal combustion engine
They can be built from low tech junk in an emergency to provide minimal power
They are low tech and so don't need an expensive qualified techie or difficult to make/obtain high tech materials to service them.
They last almost forever if built to last
They can run on Solar unattended if designed with a heat pipe or a safe solar concentrator or reflector
They can provide power in all seasons and complement low tech last resort emergency wood burning stoves
On a boat you wont upset neighbouring boats with a noisy petrol/diesel generator which is 10x louder.
With enough investment in collectors it is easy to generate plenty of free solar heat from the sun and store that heat for stirlings
If using solar collectors you can also distil water at the same time as generating heat and provide another of lifes major needs.
They are quite cheap to build and you can potentially sell bigger (working) engines for a fairly decent price due to their scarceness

Cons:
They have limited power output compared to fossil fuels, but If you're wise enough to learn need vs want they provide the needs.
If you want to generate enough power to live off using only solar you will need a fairly large solar collector.

In my opinion the technology that will dominate and win the renewable energy race will be solar panels which are already generating plenty of power
and getting cheaper and cheaper. Solar panels however do take up space and are not a Do it yourself option and rely on high tech materials
and knowlegable service technicians when they fail as well as enough space and the right weather and in most situations will not produce enough power to last through winter without frugal power rationing. They are also fragile although this weakness may be overcome in the future.

As for the Internal combustion engine, it produces a lot of power but is the most inefficient, dirty, smelly, high maintainance piece of **** ever to be sold.

Nuff Said
Josephkaisner

Post by Josephkaisner »

what do you guys think about using the stirling engine in a hydrostatic/mechanical atv?
Wellington

Post by Wellington »

Josephkaisner wrote:what do you guys think about using the stirling engine in a hydrostatic/mechanical atv?
I have no knowledge of ATVs, but I do know that many car manufacturers are doing R&D on the latest duel linear alternator stirling engines for hybrid and electric cars. Trends in the car industry are fast changing and things could go any direction depending on what the manufacturers have up their sleeves. History shows that technology is often revived, improved, dumped at the drop of a hat if there is financial gains and advantage to be had.
There is no such thing as a perfect technology for all situations and each technology has pros and cons to suit different peoples needs and finds its place based on ever changing needs. sorry no crystal ball. I'm guessing ATVs need torque and the latest stirling engines are focusing on range extension and fuel economy for elec and hybrid vehicles not on horse power/torque which is already provided by the battery,hydrogen or liquid fuel.
Wellington.
Josephkaisner

Post by Josephkaisner »

I work on ATVs a good deal. atvs do need a lot of torque. stirling engines have high rpm with low power. perfect for driving a hydraulic pump!