Rhombice drive correction

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
walterdexter

Rhombice drive correction

Post by walterdexter »

Hey i built a sterling engine with rhombic drive, but it not working working properly so i stopped there the problem is drive any suggestion too fix the issue
Ian S C

Re: Rhombice drive correction

Post by Ian S C »

Can't help you much if we can't see what you have. the main problem you will have with these motors is friction. I presume that all the parts are accurately made and machined, ie., a well made piston and cylinder, and it has a properly made , and fitted displacer. You must have the gears meshing properly and running freely, did you cut your own gears?
Ian S C
kettrinboy

Post by kettrinboy »

Hi
on a rhombic the accuracy of the crossheads and four links is critical to them running properly , i would carefully check the distances between the hole centres in the four links and the distances from the link hole centres to piston drive hole centres in the crossheads and if any differ by more than 0.02/0.03 mm part to part consider remaking them , when i did mine i made sure i got everything to +/- 0.01 mm and it runs fine , i am assuming the gears run smoothly and the power piston and displacer piston and rod run freely as well , my previous 5 engines have been gamma beam , ross yoke and twin flywheel engines and the rhombic has been by far the trickiest engine to make so far , mine has two small flywheels instead of one large one and i am still trying to get it in an acceptable state of balance by using different weights in the flywheels even though it runs fast and feels powerful enough for its size.
regards Geoff
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I have an unfinished rhombic, it's on the shelf at the moment. I made the links in pairs, so that each pair had identical bearing spacing.
I'v built 18 Stirling Engines, and 3 flame lickers, and 1 IC that won't go.
Ian S C