One piston , one connecting rod new design stirling engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
sbny

One piston , one connecting rod new design stirling engine

Post by sbny »

Hi
I'm new to Stirling engines and also new to this forum
I have tried to make a can stirling engine but they have not worked yet and i'm trying to found out the problems and have found some of them :).
one of the problems I encountered was the leak of air from around displacere's connecting rod , so I thoughed of designing a motor which does not have this connecting road which comes out of cylinder , and finally I designed the motor you see in attached picture .
the power piston and displacer are connected together whit a shaft which can freely move in displacer but has two knobs .when power piston moves about 3/4 of the cylinder left knob sticks to displacer and moves it whit piston , so air will go to cold place , then flywheel will do next job and when piston comes to 1/3 of cylinder the displacer will go back and air will place in hot place and ... .
right now I dont have enough equipments to make this engine , So if some one has and makes this motor please post that in here .
Attachments
tarhe man.png
tarhe man.png (10.41 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
Ian S C

Re: One piston , one connecting rod new design stirling engine

Post by Ian S C »

Sorry sbny, I don't think it will work. If you want to build a motor in which the displacer is not connected to the crankshaft, look up the Ringbom engine.
Ian S C
sbny

Post by sbny »

Thanks Ian , I googled for ringbom engine and found it , but one question about it , how is timing between power piston and displacer set correctly ?
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

sbny, magic, well not really, the thick rod on the displacer is actually a piston, and as the pressure changes by the power piston moving, the displacer moves, I'v got three of them, and they all seem to work ok, the last one I built was a stove top fan, but it was (a) too powerful, and (b) too noisy. There is one Ringbom motor you may find as you research them, it's called Tapper, this is after the sound that these motors make as the displacer bumps against the ends of the hot cap. To a certain extent this can be controlled. I was surprised by the stove top fan, the centrifugal force of the fan caused the whole motor to rotate slowly on the stove, and slowly move to the edge of the stove.
Ian S C
sbny

Post by sbny »

I found that , that was really nice , thanks , by the way finally I made a stirling engine that worked but not very well , but it worked :) ( at a speed of about 60 RPM ;) )
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

sbny, it worked, that's the main think, it gives you a good feeling that something you have made actually works. The thing then is to improve(you won't always), you can get hooked on these things, but it's not usually fatal.
Ian S C