End cover

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
oilman

End cover

Post by oilman »

Hi

i was going thru the topics and there was lot of discussion about end plate design. to use fins or not etc.
I have an idea in my mind that I want to share. Maybe all the experienced members will tell me if it is a viable idea.
I was thinking about using a computer CPU heat sink as an end plate. This heat sink has ready made fins on it. But the only doubt I have is should I use it with fins on the inside or outside.
The heat sink is made of aluminium so it wont take lot of heat.But with better heat transfer coefficient low hot end temperature can be used.
All comments are welcomed. thanks in advance.

Oilman
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (8.48 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
images (1).jpg
images (1).jpg (9.66 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
Ian S C

Re: End cover

Post by Ian S C »

No photos yet, it's still in the slow process of being built, but my latest engine, a BETA type with rhombic drive will be the second to have finned air cooling, there are two others in my gallery, the stove top fan engine has no fins, and relies on the aluminium cylinder head and fittings for cooling, it seems quite adequate. The other is the little beam engine, and the fins are probably more cosmetic than effective, the motor has a 3/8" bore, and 1/2" stroke.
Ian S C
Administrator
Owner
Owner

Post by Administrator »

Works great.

Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

If you look at my free piston motor (it's near the beginning of the gallery), you'll see it's got a heat sink from a computer strapped to it. Also the little 2.5 cc GAMMA motor, although water cooled, it has a heat sink of the diodes in a car alternator. One of the most important things is getting the heat out of the engine, there's no point getting as much heat as possible in, if you can't get the same amount, plus a bit more out.
Ian S C