Stirling engine software

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
stirlingmotor

Stirling engine software

Post by stirlingmotor »

Hi everybody,
I am planning to design a stirling engine (It is for my final thesis at university) I am looking for a fast software to calculate power output to work with a optimization procedure. I have used Nlog software, it is really accurate but it is not fast enough for my optimization algorithm (http://stirling.blogsky.com/)
Does anyone know a faster software for the purpose?
Ian S C

Re: Stirling engine software

Post by Ian S C »

I use the software in my top two inches(non electronic) bionic computer, never got round to anything else. :big smile:

Ian S C
wirelessguy

Post by wirelessguy »

IF we consider the term software to be relative than I have a resource that might be handy for you.

I've looked at it from less of an operational perspective and mode about build volumes. Still it may prove useful...
http://www.moteurstirling.com/pdf/calcul_uk.xls
stirlingmotor

Post by stirlingmotor »

wirelessguy wrote:IF we consider the term software to be relative than I have a resource that might be handy for you.

I've looked at it from less of an operational perspective and mode about build volumes. Still it may prove useful...
http://www.moteurstirling.com/pdf/calcul_uk.xls
Thank you, it is so fast but I doubt that it is accurate enough because It does not take into account pressure drop, or heater pipe diameters, or ...
I have put the motor parameters of GPU3 engine to Nlog software, it is really accurate (less that 3% error) but it takes at least 20min for each calculation!
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

The only problem with the N-log program is that it isn't fast enough you say?
Don't know any other programs, but i'll follow this thread to see if something pops up. Really interested if there is a good program

Regards,

Krijn
wirelessguy

Post by wirelessguy »

What exactly is slow about your application?

I'm not a programmer but it sounds to me link you have computations that are taking a long time to execute. If it's not 'code' related, is it an issue with the database?

What Are you using? Something cheap, simple, free, like MySQL or Postgres (I don't think MySQL even ships the transaction engine with the free version since you need a license from Oracle)
or are you already using a Columnar Database?
Ajey

Post by Ajey »

stirlingmotor wrote: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:07 am Hi everybody,
I am planning to design a stirling engine (It is for my final thesis at university) I am looking for a fast software to calculate power output to work with a optimization procedure. I have used Nlog software, it is really accurate but it is not fast enough for my optimization algorithm (http://stirling.blogsky.com/)
Does anyone know a faster software for the purpose?
Hi,
I am looking to design and build a stirling cycle based cooler. I want to use the Nlog software to simulate and optimize my design. I went to their website and contacted them, but I have not heard back. If you have the Nlog software with you, can you please share it with me?
Thanks in advance.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Nlog looks to be a very complex bit of software - in a commercial environment you would have to pay a lot of money to get anyone to write anything that sophisticated, but having said that half an hour to initialise (as mentioned on that site) does seem inordinately slow.