Acquired a Stirling Engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Yepitsadam

Acquired a Stirling Engine

Post by Yepitsadam »

Hi. I bought a Stirling engine at a yard sale a while back. I grabbed it because it looked cool and I like to learn about new things. After I brought it home and researched it, I tried using it. I'm sure it has a learning curve and this thing has probably never been oiled. I'm now wondering if this thing needs to be in someone else's hands. Is there anyone on here that would like this thing? I don't know how much they go for and I don't have much invested in it. I just think it needs to not go to waste. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but thought I would give it a try. I will try to post pics. Thanks for your time. I live in Louisville, KY by the way, in case there is someone local so I wouldn't have to worry about packing and shipping.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (101.69 KiB) Viewed 10436 times
Ian S C

Re: Acquired a Stirling Engine

Post by Ian S C »

I don't know of the value of the motor in USA, but in some parts it could fetch quite good money.
I think I see a users manual in the background, I think it may say that the bearings should be lubricated sparely with a light oil (sewing machine oil), and a minimum if any oil on the piston, unless the piston is made of carbon/graphite, in which case NO OIL there.
Nice wee engine. Ian S C
Yepitsadam

Post by Yepitsadam »

Yeah, I can move it by hand but it's not easy. I didn't know if that meant it is in need of oil if there would be compression in the cylinder that would keep it from spinning freely. I tried it once and it didn't work, so I'm leaning toward it needing oil. I think it's cool, and if I didn't already have hobbies that take up my time, I would tear into this one. I just thought a collector might get more out of it than I will.
That being said, I'm a gun collector, so if anyone reading this sees a possible trade in that area, I'm always open. :)
Honestly, I just want to see this go to someone who appreciates it rather than it rusting away.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I see that it is one of Andy Ross's engines, might be worth dropping him an E-mail, I'll have a look and see if I can find it. Ian S C
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Nice engine! Very nice that you're trying to sell it to someone enthousiastic, however, i guess you're from the US of A?
For me it will be too much for the shipping alone. Also i have no gun, that's not allowed here in the Netherlands :P Maybe you can put it on Ebay?
You haven't had it running yet?

Regards Krijn
Yepitsadam

Post by Yepitsadam »

When I first got it, I grabbed some alcohol and lit the fire to see if it would run. It didn't move and I saw a huge section in the manual about oiling so I assumed that was the problem. I didn't feel like diving into it, so I put it in a box until my wife and I decided to clean out our attic recently.
I am in the US. I'm sorry to hear about the no-gun law... Makes me cry a little bit. Nevertheless, I have always wanted to visit the Netherlands (New Zealand too, for Ian S C)... maybe one day! :)
Thanks for the response though. I thought about trying Ebay, but I wanted to try someplace like this first.
On a side note, when I started researching this Stirling engines to find out what I had in my possession, I saw that people are using large versions with wood stoves to run a generator. That's stinking cool!!! Maybe when I retire, I will have time for a hobby other than guns. :)
Longboy

Post by Longboy »

You have a PM Research diecast Stirling on your hands. Still available new from Mini Steam and other vendors in single and dual flywheel versions. About $125 U.S. Not a real challenge to disassemble, clean and run, your neighbors 15 yr old should have it back to you in a day. The hot tube is a press fit into the radiator. See the video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaESDlPI4w4
Yepitsadam

Post by Yepitsadam »

Thanks for the info! My brother (a much more mechanically-inclined person than I) said he wants it, so I guess it's off the market. I'm not sure why I never thought about asking him... It's right up his alley. Thanks again folks! You guys have a good one!
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

wow, nice engine in that video, running really fast!
glad the engine found a nice new home :)
Administrator
Owner
Owner

Post by Administrator »

He has the old version of the engine. It was not a kit. Made by Solar Engines of Phoenix, Arizona.
I have the book somewhere.

I think they became PM later on or PM started making the engine?

Note no burner on the kit or railing. The old one's have the burner built in.

My engine:

nickh

Post by nickh »

This design originated in the 1950's with model company Davies Charlton based on the isle of Man.

NHH
Administrator
Owner
Owner

Post by Administrator »

nickh wrote:
dadada wrote:You need more of the statements in this matter, so that we can understand. Thank you for sharing. I hope you happy
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Was there something wrong with my previous post?

NHH
NHH,
He is a Spammer......He was "taken care of"....sorry. :wink:

Boyd
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Boyd, as we Kiwis say, she'll be right mate. Ian S C
quadriplegic

Post by quadriplegic »

I just found one at a yard sale, but it's missing parts so I need to find a source. any ideas out there?
flash3780

Post by flash3780 »

Yepitsadam,
That's a very neat model engine! It looks like it's all there... would you mind posting a video if your brother gets it running?

Chris
Cincinnati, Ohio