Hyporex engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
nickh

Hyporex engine

Post by nickh »

Looks like a representative of Hyporex has joined the forum so perhaps we will get some more information on these interesting engines.

I just rcvd the following PM, presumably in response to my comment on power output in the 'big stirling engine' thread (which curiously seems to be unavailable for viewing at the moment) :-

"Have you added piston rings and air compression to your engine from hyporex? We have added these 2 things to achieve stated power and working on it right now." (can't get italics to work)

No I haven't, but I think it would take more than a little pressurisation to achieve the figures being talked about - the heat exchange areas are very restricted for a kick-off. And let's have any such discussion 'in public' as it were.

I should add that I am very pleased with my engine, but remain realistic about its power producing prospects!

NHH
hyporex

Re: Hyporex engine

Post by hyporex »

Without sealed air compression, there is no working gas inside engine, so concluded power output is not realistic. http://www.hyporex.ca/stirling-generator.php
mikeptag

Post by mikeptag »

Yes I received a private message from Mr Sultan of Hyporex as well. He said he was insulted by one of my posts, which is odd because I am actually a fan of their website and check it regularly for updates on their projects and am considering a purchase. I also have emailed them a few times with questions and always receive good replies! I cant even check my past post to figure out if something I wrote could have been misunderstood because the "Big Stirling" thread seems to have been deleted. Im sure my post was positive, though perhaps taken wrong. Well, welcome to the forum Mr. Sultan, I look forward to your posts, and informative updates on Hyporex Stirlings!

I also just noticed the thread I started "High Powered Stirling going into production" is blank when I try to go to it. This thread didnt mention Hyporex at all. It was about a Swedish company developing a nice Stirling Generator: http://d2walsh.wix.com/genious#!projects/c3ik

I am perplexed.
Last edited by mikeptag on Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

hyporex,

Are you still claiming your stirling engine produces 500 watts??

or is the truth closer to 10 watts??

vamoose
hyporex

Post by hyporex »

Not claiming anything, BSE without airtight sealing, without piston rings, without controlled compression, without enclosed working gas (hydrogen, helium, nitrogen) still generated 10 watts "YES" but it does not constitute its real capability. In order to determine and conclude its real capacity, we still have work-in-progress and deserve your support and encouragement. BTW, we did seal BSE and added a check valve on the bottom of the piston plate and witnessed extremely high pressure built without even any heat input but then it did not run. We are still working on this wonderful machine and are very optimistic about its capabilities but need some time. The material for the parts being used is mostly "sand cast" not CNC machined (due to high cost) has pressure limitation imposed on us during testing but will not make us quit from developing a perfect unit to share with you all.
hyporex

Post by hyporex »

mikeptag wrote:Yes I received a private message from Mr Sultan of Hyporex as well. He said he was insulted by one of my posts, which is odd because I am actually a fan of their website and check it regularly for updates on their projects and am considering a purchase. I also have emailed them a few times with questions and always receive good replies! I cant even check my past post to figure out if something I wrote could have been misunderstood because the "Big Stirling" thread seems to have been deleted. Im sure my post was positive, though perhaps taken wrong. Well, welcome to the forum Mr. Sultan, I look forward to your posts, and informative updates on Hyporex Stirlings!

I also just noticed the thread I started "High Powered Stirling going into production" is blank when I try to go to it. This thread didnt mention Hyporex at all. It was about a Swedish company developing a nice Stirling Generator: http://d2walsh.wix.com/genious#!projects/c3ik

I am perplexed.
Thank you for the warm welcome, if you have not written anything on hyporex, then your ID must of been mixed with someone else, I apologize for it.
nickh

Post by nickh »

I applaud anyone attempting to develop a commercially viable Stirling / hot air engine but unrealistic claims and worse, unrealistic expectations, will not help you to succeed where so many others have failed. Look at the benchmark Philips MP1002CA - it's not the engineering gem it is just because Philips liked to over-design things, it's that way because that is the level of sophistication required to produce 200 watts electrical output in a reasonably compact package.

NHH
nickh

Post by nickh »

Just for interest, here are a few pictures comparing the Hyporex 'Big Stirling Engine' with an original Ky-Ko motor.
attachment1.jpg
attachment1.jpg (136.45 KiB) Viewed 8276 times
attachment2.jpg
attachment2.jpg (134.82 KiB) Viewed 8276 times
attachment3.jpg
attachment3.jpg (100.94 KiB) Viewed 8276 times
NHH
nickh

Post by nickh »

And two more:-
attachment4.jpg
attachment4.jpg (142.5 KiB) Viewed 8276 times
attachment5.jpg
attachment5.jpg (137.28 KiB) Viewed 8276 times
NHH
mikeptag

Post by mikeptag »

I just posted in the "Big Stirling" thread more on this topic, some videos and links :)
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

To become a sophisticated, high powered, pressurised Stirling Engine, you have to get away from the 19th century fan engine technology that is being used on this motor, as it is it is not suitable for modification for pressurisation.
A motor for pressurising must have the crank shaft side of the power piston enclosed, and under pressure as well as the pressure side of the piston.
Get this one up and running, and maybe put a little generator on it, if the motor puts out 10 Watts, you should get about 5 watts at the generator, Ok for charging small batteries. Generators of these small sizes are not very efficient, they improve once you get up to, and over 100 Watts.
Continue with research and development, and I'm sure you can produce a modern, moderately powered, pressurised Stirling Engine at a reasonable price. Best wishes Ian S C
hyporex

Post by hyporex »

Ian S C wrote:To become a sophisticated, high powered, pressurised Stirling Engine, you have to get away from the 19th century fan engine technology that is being used on this motor, as it is it is not suitable for modification for pressurisation.
A motor for pressurising must have the crank shaft side of the power piston enclosed, and under pressure as well as the pressure side of the piston.
Get this one up and running, and maybe put a little generator on it, if the motor puts out 10 Watts, you should get about 5 watts at the generator, Ok for charging small batteries. Generators of these small sizes are not very efficient, they improve once you get up to, and over 100 Watts.
Continue with research and development, and I'm sure you can produce a modern, moderately powered, pressurised Stirling Engine at a reasonable price. Best wishes Ian S C
Thank you Ian, we agree.