Tesla's "Ambient Heat Engine" Experiment

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Tom Booth

Re: Tesla's "Ambient Heat Engine" Experiment

Post by Tom Booth » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:36 am

Ian S C wrote:The one way to see if it actually works is to build it, and try it out.
Ian S C
Very True.

I like the engine you posted earlier:

I was wondering what it cost to build. Including time, material and any necessary workshop equipment etc.

Ian S C

Post by Ian S C » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:36 am

Tom, that one cost me the price of the 12 nylon screws used to hold the top and bottom plates together. The plates were made from 2 frying pans found in a rubbish skip, the top one is 5 mm thick, and the bottom one 3 mm. The flywheel was made from the pan used for the top plate, the spokes are bits of old bike spokes. The power piston is 1" diameter, and made of cast iron as is the cylinder. The displacer is a foam plastic disc, and the displacer cylinder is a bit of plastic drain pipe. My usual motors are high temp ones, and I make them to see how much power I can get out of them.

To get power out of any type of machine you must put in that amount of power plus enough to cover inefficiency, you can't get anything from nothing.
Ian S C

Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:53 pm

I can't imagine turning some old frying pans into a Stirling Engine without some kind of machine shop.

Ian S C

Post by Ian S C » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:48 am

If you are going to get serious about building hot air motors (or any motor, or model) you need at least the use of a lathe, unless you are only going to build tin can motors. The most important thing is imagination.

Ian S C